Recipes And Reasons To Go Vegetarian

Recipes And Reasons To Go Vegetarian

Why I want to go vegetarian
9

I've said for years that I have wanted to go vegetarian or at least try to eat more veggies and less meat. Will I miss grilled chicken and hamburgers on the grill in the summer? Definitely. Will it sometimes be challenging to find things to order when I go out to eat? Sure. Will it make it even harder to find something to eat at the dining hall? Absolutely. But let's also think of all the times the dining hall serves incredibly undercooked or truly questionable meat - and this is certainly far too many.

If you have ever seen any of the videos or images that PETA produces - which you should - they will very quickly open your eyes to the horrors that many industries put animals through. While many would argue that this is what these animals are bred for, that does not take away from the unimaginable suffering, torture and fear that these animals endure every single day of their lives, never once experiencing what is like to graze in an open field or be able to care for their babies. Tiny cages, starving animals, fecal infested living quarters and over populated breeding areas filled with dead and dying animals. After living a life of undernourishment, horrible treatment by workers, cows' throats are slit, baby chicks are put in trash chutes and babies are ripped away from their mothers minutes after being born.

When you think about what an animal has to endure for their entire lives to eventually end up on your plate, it really makes you question if that is something you want to eat. Not only would going vegetarian save an animal from a lifetime of suffering, leading a vegetarian lifestyle helps lower your cholesterol and lowers your risk of obesity, high blood pressure and several types of cancer. Enjoying a vegetarian lifestyle will also make you feel better and help you explore all different kinds of recipes. Here are some great vegetarian dishes to help get you started!

1. Stuffed Peppers

2. Eggplant Parmesan Roll - Ups

3. Four Cheese Angel Hair Pasta

4. Cauliflower & Broccoli Carbonara

5. Grilled Vegetable Rigatoni

6. Summer Vegetable Tart

7. Quinoa - Stuffed Avocados

8. Veggie Spaghetti Pie

9. Heirloom Tomato Tart With Ricotta And Basil

10. Zucchini "Meatballs"

11. Pesto Spaghetti with Summer Squash

To check out the recipes for any of these amazing dishes and more, visit Delish.com. Also consider some of these fast and easy vegetarian snacks like peanut butter and banana toast, yogurt and granola, fruit cups, classic grilled cheese and tomato soup and kale chips. Don't forget about all the delicious salads that you can make too like Cobb, Southwestern and Greek salad.