Reboots Have Given Me A New Appreciation For Sequels

All Of These Reboots Have Given Me A New Appreciation For Sequels

I will take a sequel over a reboot any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

23
Jalon Dixon

Think about all of the highly anticipated sequels you have ever watched in your lifetime. There are movies like "Shrek 2," "Finding Dory," "Incredibles 2," "Monsters University," "Toy Story 2," and most recently, the arrival of "Avengers: Infinity War." Outside of "Avengers: Infinity War," a sequel to the original "Avengers" movie, I would not say that these sequels lived up to the hype, but they sure did stir up a conversation.

"Shrek 2" gave us Puss in Boots, a character that now might be considered more lovable than Donkey, considering Puss has a show on Netflix. "Toy Story" gave us a new set of characters like Jessie the Cowgirl and Bullseye the horse, who provided us with more fun-loving characters to add to the childish notion of our toys coming to life while we are away.

These sequels might not have given us the feeling that we had when we watched the first movies, but at least you did not look at them and say "thank you, next."

Reboots, on the other hand, are not nearly as inviting.

For those who may not know, a reboot is not a continuation of the original. Rather, a reboot is a new or different interpretation of the original content by a new crew of creators. Typically, the story is not the only thing that changes when making a reboot. If you look at the cover of this article, I have two versions of a handful of shows that most '90s and 2000s babies may be familiar with: "Teen Titans," "Bakugan," and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." On the left is the original cartoon art, distinctly created and all unique in their own way. On the right are the reboots that have been made within the last few years, all displaying these childish, chubby cheek characters fit to target those ten years old and younger.

Reboots are not for those who watched the originals. Reboots are toned down, over-animated, and more focused on trying to make kids laugh than give viewers a real story to cling on to. Reboots might take ideas from the original to maintain credibility, but they also always forget something, purposely leave out certain points, or even add stuff so that they can create their own narrative.

Creators of reboots simply want to be known as the people who brought *insert show here* back. I have said it in past articles and I will say it again: bring back the shows we know and love, sprinkle a little HD on there, and re-air them so that this younger generation can see why old cartoons are superior.

I'm not saying there needs to be a petition or something, but I do feel like old school, early-2000s television is where the real cartoons are at. Don't take my word for it: check out watchcartoononline.com, the online version of a cartoon wonderland, and see for yourself.

To all the reboot creators out there, stick to the script. Bringing back shows as they were. This will bring back old audiences and create new ones, which is just as good as trying to strictly cater to the younger generation who basically just watch whatever is on. Grown-ups and big kids like TV, too.