5 Reasons Why You Need A Dog In College

5 Reasons You Need A Dog In College

College can be a stressful time and you shouldn't have to go through it without Man's Best Friend.

11
5 Reasons You Need A Dog In College
Rebecca Glenn

If there is one thing in this world that is constant, it is how absolutely wonderful dogs are. Earning the title "Man's Best Friend" for a reason, dogs have provided us with so much and in return, they just ask for treats and belly rubs. With so many people sharing a love for dogs, it makes the college experience all the more difficult. Some have to travel away from beloved family pets. However, I am here to advocate that dog lovers should get a dog while in college if they are able to do so. Speaking as a person who now lives with both a human and a dog roommate in a two bedroom apartment, a dog can provide you with so much while you are in college.

1. Dogs Provide Entertainment

https://pixabay.com/photos/dog-animal-puppy-pet-cute-3944336/

There is no doubt: dogs are hilarious. They have personalities of their own and they really shine when they are surrounded by the people they love. Each dog has its little quirks and they provide dog owners with countless moments of entertainment and memories. For example, Juno, my roommate's dog, is a bit of a lazybones. It is always funny to hear my roommate call for him and to look over and see him absolutely refusing to move from the couch. Similarly, Juno is a bit of a lovable idiot. He often leaps for the couch and in his excitement, misses by a good amount. It is all in good fun and we make sure to give him plenty of pets after to make up for it. No matter what, though, dogs are just entertaining to have around the house. From the way they play with their toys or interact with their environment, dogs give us a level of amusement other things struggle to accomplish.

2. Dogs Are Stress Relievers

https://www.pexels.com/photo/boy-boy-and-dog-boy-hugs-dog-boys-love-for-dog-441101/

Dogs are some of the best and natural stress relievers in the world. There is a reason they are used so often in therapy and in the medical field. I can't tell you how nice it is to come home from a long day at school to find Juno sitting on the couch. Sitting down and giving him a hug provides me with a recharge after a tiring day of classes. Sometimes you can get so upset that other people do not help; you just want to lay down and do absolutely nothing. Having a dog provides you with an outlet for that stress. After all, not many people can say that they can stay stressed after petting the soft or silky coat of their four-legged best friend.

3. Dogs Are Gateways to Relationships

https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=46098&picture=dogs-amp-people

Dogs are a great way to start up relationships with other people. No, I don't just mean romantic relationships. One thing that unites countless people in the world is the love for dogs and pets. Needless to say, if you go out to a college student-populated area with a dog on a leash, you are going to have some level of human interaction. After all, you often just need to have one thing in common to bond with another person and having a dog is a good way to start. From there, who knows what kind of friends and connections you can make along the way or what kind of stories you may hear. You life experiences and friendship circle can grow just by having a dog by your side.

4. Dogs Give You A Reason To Exercise

Walking each other.jpg

College is a busy time of life. Often it is hard to find time to go out and get that much needed exercise. Luckily, having a dog gives you that perfect reason. Your dog needs exercise and so, by default, you will need to go out to walk your dog. In a way, this is the best deal for the both of you. Your dog gets to stretch its legs and get some fresh air while you get some much appreciated exercise. In fact, not only is this exercise, but it is pleasurable exercise. You have the opportunity to meet new people and you get to spend some quality time with your beloved pet. As a way to let off steam and a way to burn calories, owning a dog is one of the better and more pleasurable.

5. Dogs Provide Unconditional Love

Dog kissing.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, it would not by a dog advocate video without mentioning the love and support that dogs give us. No matter what kind of day we have had, a dog will be there to give you a kiss when you walk in the door. A dog doesn't care that you botched an interview. A dog isn't bothered that you failed your last project or quiz. A dog doesn't mind that class registration didn't work out. A dog just cares about you and how much they love you. Away from home, it can be harder to find a support system for when you do not feel up to standard.

Luckily, owning a dog is a sure fire way to find unbiased and unrelenting love and support.