10 Reasons I Workout That Are NOT 'To Lose 10 Pounds'
popular

I used to find myself in the gym as a form of punishment, but now I find it enjoyable.

1424

I think many of us find ourselves back at the gym after the holiday season in an attempt to "punish ourselves" for our over-indulgence between Christmas and New Years.

The more I continue to workout (which I have to admit hasn't been very much recently), the more I enjoy working out for reasons other than to make myself "skinnier". So many of us use the gym for all of the wrong reasons, when we could be getting so much more out of it.

Here are some of the reasons I've come to love working out:

1. It relieves stress

Studies recently have proven that working out is one of the best ways to combat stress, especially in college students. It's an excuse to put headphones in and ignore everything going on in the world around you, even if it's just for an hour.

2. It tires me out and allows me to sleep better

I personally can tell a significant difference in a night's sleep a couple hours after a hard workout. I find myself falling asleep faster and staying asleep, with fewer times awake in the middle of the night.

3. It's something to do when I'm bored (other than eat junk food)

Let's be honest, I think most of us find ourselves reaching for our laptop to continue binge-watching our favorite Netflix show and most of the time going to the gym is the last thing on our agenda when we have a moment of free time. However, I've come to love a good workout when I have nothing else to do and it leaves me feeling significantly more accomplished, although finishing a Netflix series is a huge accomplishment as well.

4. It significantly improves how I feel physically and emotionally

This one is a little bit harder to explain but for some reason, a day following a good morning workout is almost always significantly better. I feel more energized, motivated and just all around happier.

5. It gives me confidence

Although the main reason I've come to love working out isn't because I necessarily want to lose weight, it is the best feeling in the world when you start seeing your body change and you begin to meet your goals that once seemed so far away.

6. It makes me feel accomplished and disciplined

Getting yourself out of bed and to the gym, completing a successful workout is quite an accomplishment and it leaves me feeling that way for the remainder of the day.

7. It becomes fun if you find the right workouts

I recently got involved in kickboxing and have come to LOVE it. It's so much fun (not to mention, a great way to relieve anger). When you begin to have fun with workouts, they become more enjoyable, and therefore you are more willing to complete them.

8. It's an encouraging environment

Looking around at all of the people around me tends to motivate me. Seeing girls that are fit lead me to realize that my goals could be a reality if I push myself hard enough. I used to find the gym environment extremely intimidating and hostile, but I've come to learn that everyone there is there for the same reasons as you and because of that, we can encourage each other, rather than what we believe to be true as far as thinking those around us are judging us for our lack of ability.

9. It serves as a good "study break"

As a college student, who doesn't need an excuse for one of those? On some days I find myself asking myself "what sounds worse right now, starting on that eight-page paper due tomorrow or going for a run?" Believe it or not, going for a run almost always wins.

10. It wakes me up and is a good way to kick start my day

My favorite time of day to workout is definitely first thing in the morning. Although it can be difficult on most days to muster up the motivation to get out of bed an hour early, its such a refreshing start to the day. It leaves me feeling (as I mentioned previously) energized, motivated, and on track for a great and productive day.

I hope that you as well can find reasons to love and enjoy working out, instead of finding it a dreaded chore to add to the "to-do" list.