Reasons Why Regular Exercise Is So Important for Seniors

Regular Exercise

21

One of the biggest challenges that seniors face is maintaining their physical fitness. With age, it becomes more challenging to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It's not uncommon for people to start gaining weight and experiencing health problems because they stop exercising regularly or give up on any diet changes they made in the past.

Despite going outside for light exercise like running and jogging, there are different indoor options like treadmills are available for seniors to perform the task while staying home.

Exercise not only make you fit, and live healthy but there are several other reasons why regular exercise should be maintained at any age!

Here are few reasons why seniors should continue to exercise regularly:

Reason #1. Improved healing and function

Doing the regular exercise is not just good for your physical health but can be an essential tool in the fight against aging. One study showed that seniors who exercised regularly had wounds heal 25% faster than those without a workout routine.

Additionally, it takes less time to recover from illness or injury when you're physically strong enough to be well-equipped with energy stores that help regulate inflammation levels throughout our bodies'.

Reason #2. Improved life expectancy and quality of life

The studies have found that seniors who exercise improve their physical fitness and experienced psychological benefits.

Regular exercise can help reduce signs of depression and improve mood in general. The increased mobility from the regular moderate activity will allow them to maintain independence if it's done on a consistent basis; consistency is more important than intensity!

Reason #3. Increased balance and stability

Falls are the top most injury among seniors, and regular exercise can help prevent them. Falls lead to broken hips or other bones, which is why it's so essential for you to - as a senior citizen-to stay active!

Aerobic exercises such as walking will improve your balance while strengthening muscles in your legs; this makes it easier when taking steps on uneven ground because they'll give more support than if there were no leg strength behind every action.

In addition to improving functional reach and fall prevention skills through improved muscle quality, our bodies become better at storing energy used during activity (that's right—exercise sates hunger!), lessens sarcopenia symptoms like decreased physical.

Reason #4. Build bone density

If you want to increase your bone strength, weight-bearing exercises like playing tennis are an excellent way of doing so. These activities help keep our bones strong and reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis!

According to The National Osteoporosis Society statistics, about 50% of women AND 20% of men will break a hip or wrist due just in their lifetime because they have this disease, so don't wait any longer - start building those stronger muscles; now before it’s too late!

Reason #5. Live longer, happier and healthier:

The World Health Organization says that sitting for long periods is one the top ten leading causes of death and disability in seniors. Research shows regular exercise can increase your lifespan by around three to five years, maybe more.

It also produces endorphins that help relieve stress while giving you a more incredible feeling of happiness in life and satisfaction from accomplishing challenges.

Conclusion:

Seniors are in a unique position to reap the benefits of regular exercise. They have adequate time on their hands, they can socialize with people at community centers and gyms, and they're often retired, so there's no work-related stress weighing them down when it comes to workouts.

Plus, seniors who exercise regularly are less likely to suffer from chronic diseases like arthritis or diabetes, making exercise difficult. So whether you're an active senior looking for new ways to stay healthy or your loved one is aging up quickly before your eyes—make sure that regular exercise is part of the plan!