Reasons I Love Being a Dog Owner, As Told by Dogs

Everyone deserves a little puppy love.

29
Cesar's Way

A few weeks ago, a documentary on the BBC discussed a study about whether or not dogs or cats feel more affection toward their owners. Dogs ended up beating cats significantly, releasing more “love hormone” than cats did by around 40 percent in some cases. As arguably the biggest dog lover on the planet, I was not surprised by this news at all. There are many ways I can tell that my Golden Lab, Rigby, loves me, even if he can’t say it. Here are some of the reasons that I love him right back.

1. My dog greets me with the same enthusiasm, whether I’ve been gone for five minutes or five weeks.

When I left for college, I genuinely thought Rigby would forget about me, since I was only able to come home about once per month. Luckily, that was not the case. The second I walked in the door, he almost knocked me over because he was so excited to see me. The same can be said when I’m home for any type of break and head to the store down the road. When I get back, he acts like I had been away for years, with the same amount of tail wagging and kisses that I would get after being away at school. It’s a good feeling to have someone always happy to see you.

2. My dog knows when I’ve had a bad day.

There were plenty of times in high school when I would come home from a long day and have either had a rough time on a test, some drama occur between the 200 people in my class or just felt off. Rigby has been there for me during those times as well. I am positive that there is some sort of sense dogs have for bad moods, and they are the best at improving them. Whenever I have a bad day, Rigby will sit or lie down next to me and just let me pet him. He is the cheapest therapy I could ever get, and my entire family feels the same way.

3. My dog makes me laugh constantly, even when he’s supposed to be in trouble.

I really wish I could learn to be mad at Rigby. He does a lot of stupid things that I probably should get angry about, like taking my socks and shoes, throwing up on the carpet and barking at what I have to assume are ghosts, because there is nothing outside worth barking at. However, whenever he does get “in trouble”, I can’t help but laugh at how sorry and pathetic he looks when he realizes he’s been caught. Of course, five minutes later he is doing the same thing again, but I truly believe in that moment when he is discovered that he is sorry. He is the dog equivalent of Justin Bieber (sorry, Dad): even when he messes up, he’s really cute, so no one cares.

There are so many reasons why dogs are wonderful; I could probably go on for days. To spare you from having to read a 1,000-page article, and at the risk of sounding like the crazy dog lady I am, I’ll stop here. Not only have we now learned that dogs do genuinely love us, we also have a ton of reasons to love them right back.