Why Audrey Hepburn Is Iconic
Beauty Fashion

7 Reasons To Convince You That Audrey Hepburn Is The Most Iconic Person From The 20th Century

Besides surviving the German occupation of the Netherlands, Audrey Hepburn was Hubert de Givenchy's muse, as well as a beloved UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

1820
Facebook / Audrey Hepburn Elegant soul.
https://www.pexels.com/photo/actress-audrey-hepburn-black-and-white-cinema-276028/

Audrey Hepburn is one of the most famous golden Hollywood era actresses and is known for beloved films such as "Roman Holiday" or "My Fair Lady." Throughout her life, she served as a fashion icon to millions of women and girls and as a muse to fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy. But Hepburn was much more than a pretty face; her early childhood experiences and her work in the humanitarian area have led to many calling her one of the most iconic people from the 20th century.

1. Hepburn survived the German occupation of the Netherlands and participated in the Dutch Resistance.

Audrey Hepburn witnessed the looting and pilfering of Dutch businesses, cities and homes and the killing and bombing of thousands of Dutch men, women and children. She was also a survivor of the Hongerwinter (Hunger Winter) of 1944, when the Nazis cut off all Dutch food supplies. However, she fought against the Nazis in her own way. She and a few other girls held small ballet recitals and used the funds to support the Dutch Resistance.

2. Hepburn is only one of 15 people to have been "EGOT-ed."

Audrey Hepburn is one of only 15 people to date who have received an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony.

\She received an Emmy for "Gardens of the World with Audrey Hepburn;" a Grammy for "Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales;" three Oscars for "Roman Holiday," "The Nun's Story" and "Charade" and a Tony for "Ondine." She also won a Life Achievement Award from the Screen Actors Guild, three BAFTA awards, two Golden Globe awards and two New York Film Critics Circle Awards.

3. Hepburn was a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

Audrey Hepburn was a Special Ambassador for the United Nations Children's Fund for the last five years of her life. Her lifelong love of children, as well as her own personal experiences with disaster and starvation, led her to dedicate her time to UNICEF. She brought attention to conditions in Ethiopia, Turkey, parts of Central America and South America, Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam and Somalia.

4. Hepburn was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

In 1992, Audrey Hepburn earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor for any civilian, from President George H.W Bush. She received the Medal in recognition of her work as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

5. Hepburn was Hubert de Givenchy's muse.

Givenchy and Hepburn had a unique relationship; Givenchy actually met her by accident because he mistook Audrey Hepburn for Katharine Hepburn. Nonetheless, Audrey Hepburn became a sort of inspiration and muse for Givenchy; he made her Oscar dress, as well as her wedding dress. In fact, the Givenchy fragrance L'interdit was created exclusively for Hepburn and later became her signature scent.

6. Like many people, Hepburn suffered from self-confidence and body image issues.

Audrey Hepburn's son, Luca Dotti, explained that Hepburn had issues with her body image, as well as self-esteem problems. According to Dotti, she would "look in the mirror and say, 'I don't understand why people see me as beautiful.'" Of course, most of us would agree that Hepburn was probably one of the most graceful, elegant and attractive actresses ever, but the knowledge that she was still human makes her so much more iconic.

7. Hepburn was, and still is, a symbol of elegance and grace.

Audrey Hepburn was timeless and chic; in fact, she popularized the little black dress and paved the way for a new type of fashion that was simple yet attractive and timeless yet modern. Instead of succumbing to the newest trends, Hepburn picked pieces that complemented her own looks. She always appeared confident and comfortable.