All The Reasons You Absolutely NEED To Have A Valentine This Year

Heart shaped chocolates, jewelry, teddy bears, and roses galore.

119

So Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. You know what that means, right? Heart shaped chocolates and balloons, teddy bears, jewelry, and roses galore. The whole shebang. What could be better than all of that?

What could be better than scrambling to find someone to share that day with? I’ll tell you.

Anything. Anything can be better than that.

I’m not a Valentine’s Day hater by any means. I have celebrated my fair share of Valentine’s Days. But that’s just the thing — it’s nothing that special.

Valentine’s Day is just another excuse to feel obligated to buy your loved ones gifts to make them feel special when in reality, you should be making them feel special every day, and you shouldn’t need gifts to do so.

If you don’t have a significant other to spend the day with, don’t sweat it. The stigma that this is a day to make single people feel lonely and that you need someone on this day or else you should feel sad is total BS. Is Valentine’s Day even a real holiday? Does anyone even know?

I personally do not plan on having a date this year on February 14th and I could not care less. In fact, I’m looking forward to this day to crack open a bottle of wine with my girlfriends and sit in a circle and play card games and talk about all the stupid, fun memories we have made in the past few months that we have all been single.

Another reason why you don’t need a valentine this year is because this day is filled with expectations and let downs (kind of like sorority date parties). You go into it with all of these expectations that it’s going to be such a romantic and perfect day. Your boo bought you the perfect gift, you went on the perfect date and you were just glowing all day with a little rainbow following you and everywhere you walked you left a trail of glitter.

And then, in reality, it doesn’t turn out this way. Your so-called “boo” didn’t even get you a gift. Turns out, you have just been a side chick this whole time, didn’t you know?

Maybe if you’re lucky you go out to eat at some extravagant restaurant such as McDonald’s or if he’s a big spender, Chick-Fil-A.

In most cases, he may ask you what you’re doing that day and then hit you with the “you should come over to Alpha Beta Zeta Theta Apple Pie tonight, we’re having a party” and you can show up to find him blacked out making out with another girl. And then low and behold, the romantic Valentine’s Day gesture you had planned in your head does not go exactly according to plan.

Yeah, many times Valentine’s Day can be a fun day. If you have a nice boyfriend that treats you well and actually does get you the perfect gift and take you on the perfect date, good for you. Enjoy that and don’t let him go.

But if that isn’t the case, it does not matter. Valentine’s Day is full of hype and not worth the stress. Do not freak out about finding a date or making plans for this fake holiday. You can have a hot date with yourself, a glass of wine, and some Netflix and that sounds like an ideal night to me.