Reasonable New Year's Resolution

Reasonable New Year's Resolution

New Year's resolutions can stress us out, but they do not have to.

9
Reasonable New Year's Resolution
Coffee Klatch Crew

Every year we seem to make resolutions that we either forget about or give up on within the first few months of the year. As a college student, resolutions involving money, grades, or our weight come up quite often, and although these are good goals to have, there are some easier goals we can manage a little better.

1. I will live in the present instead of worrying about the past or the future.

All too many times we find ourselves stressing over things that had happened or things that could happen. The past is something we learn from, but should not continue to stress over for a long period. Focus on "the now."

2. I will eat healthier.

This is a more reasonable goal than "I will lose x amount of pounds by this date ." Vowing to eat healthier can be as easy as eating fewer sweets and more fruits, or even cutting out soda. The end result may be the same, but it is not something you will have to 'grade' or manage weekly. Just make conscious choices.

3. I will stand up for myself.

Men and women alike back down from their beliefs in order to avoid confrontation. Pledge to stand up for your opinion more, without trying to tear down someone else's opinion. Be considerate, while also being self-confident.

4. I will use Social Media less.

Social media seems to be controlling the youth, especially college students. Whether it is Yik Yak, Facebook, or Instagram, college students are becoming addicted to social media. Promise to use it less, and you may find yourself with more time than you had before.

5. I will go out of my comfort zone.

I tried to do this in 2016, and intend to keep it as a resolution for 2017. Try to go outside the comfort zone as you can; don't make yourself excessively uncomfortable, but do some things you never thought you would. Go on adventures, try new foods, get to know a professor, join a club; the possibilities here are endless!

At the end of the day, your resolutions are your decision; but don't be so hard on yourself, don't forget about the goals you create, and think of the things you can change when you set your mind to it. A year from now, you will be a different person either way, so why not make the decisions that will shape you into that person, now?