holidays with the family

7 Things You Realize While Celebrating The Holidays With Your Family

Oh, what an interesting time of the year, spent with interesting people.

43

We are in the swing of the holiday period, and even though all that it entails, it makes you think about family. Whether you live near your family, with them, or simply visit during this time, family is something you can't escape during the holidays, though some might think they want to. Spending time with family and celebrating the upcoming holidays brings with it a lot of stress along with the love, but as these weeks go by, you might realize these 7 things.

1. Your family is weird

You spent a large chunk of your life with them. Actually, more like surrounded, by them. Their quirks might always have been there, but they just kind of made sense. But every so often, you can see your family from an outsider's perspective, and it's interesting, to say the least. One second you think that behavior is totally normal, and the next, you're slightly concerned that you all should get a psych evaluation. Eh, just go with it.

2. Amidst all the stress of holiday prep, you genuinely look forward to a designated day with your fam

Holidays are talked about and displayed as such peaceful and loving times, but I guess the truth was a little too jarring for advertising. The weeks and days leading up to any holiday are packed full of planning, questions, tension, and fatigue. Sometimes for good reason, but sometimes for seemingly no reason at all. All leading up to a single day when you don't have to think about it all anymore. It might not be a day of peace and relaxation, but when you look around at the faces of the people you love, you wouldn't change a thing. You're actually looking forward to the next holiday already.

3. Games bring out the worst in you and your loved ones

When family gets together, entertainment is necessary. This is where the games come in. it could be card games or board games, or any game really, and they will start off light-hearted, but the longer you play, the more intense it becomes. The game doesn't stop being fun, but the mood does. The game is no longer a pleasant thing to pass the time, but a match to the death and might encourage some variations of trash talk. These times threaten to break you and your relationship, but somehow make it that much stronger.

4. Getting presents is fun and all, but giving present that your fam actually likes is almost magical

Most people like presents. I mean, it's free stuff, why wouldn't you? But, when you've known some people all your life, you want to show them that they're appreciated. That you know them and what they like. Almost nothing beats the expression of your mom opening a present she actually likes. Or when you're shopping and find something your sister will like and use. It's crazy how good it feels to spend money on people other than yourself sometimes.

5. You would give up the presents just to hang out with them

As great as gifts are, giving or receiving, nothing beats being around family in general. If you had to pick one or the other, family is the gift that keeps on giving. It sounds sappy, and definitely not what you'd think out loud, but it's true. No present, as perfect as it may seem, is better than just enjoying the company of the people you love. Their smile, laugh, mannerisms, basically everything about them, brings a greater joy than anything money can buy.

6. You really, truly, love your weird family

You remember those abnormal tendencies you noticed during this time, yeah, well, after a little more time with the fam, you don't care anymore. Really, you've decided to embrace it all. To run into the loving arms of bad jokes, random arguments, and maybe even questionable behaviors. Weird is relative, right?

7. The holidays wouldn't be the same without them

Despite the weird, the stress, and the chaos that comes with the holidays, you can't imagine celebrating them without your family. Whether you have strict family traditions or make up new traditions as you go, the holidays wouldn't be the same without the people you love.