The Reality of 9/11

The Reality of 9/11

A Day That Was Different But The Same for All
23

September 11, 2001 is a day that no one will forget. It was day of tragedy for our entire country. I will never forget this day, and I can't help but fight back tears as I reflect on this unfortunate event. My heart is heavy for the families that are still grieving. Those affected lost a brother, a father, a sister, a mother, a grandmother, a grandfather and a friend. Though our country experienced such great terror, we came together as one. Our country was united. Sadly, the relevance of what once was is no more. Our country is more divided than ever. In relevance to 9/11, we have folks debating whether or not the attack was a hoax. It shouldn't matter if it was a hoax, people died. Instead of worrying if it happened or if our own country planned it, we should be more focused on those whose lives were taken. We should not argue over it, but we should show respect.

I was only five years old when the tragedy of 9/11 occurred. I was in kindergarten. I was on the playground of my elementary school. As a child, I didn't really understand what was going on. All I remember is that I was upset that I was being told that play time was over. We were rushed inside and were told to be quiet and sit quietly while the lights were out. I don't remember much of that day but the older I got, I realized how terrified the teachers and parents were. Because honestly, no one knew what was really going on. Some teachers were in remorse of the idea that bombs were being dropped. Honestly, no one could've been prepared for this event in a school setting. I wouldn't have even known what to say if I just turned on the TV and saw what was taking place. If I were the teachers or principal, what actions would I have taken to keep my students safe? Would there have been anything I could've done if bombs were being dropped? Every year, I hear different stories of where people were when 9/11 happened and I can feel the emotions through their stories. Some thought that the rapture had taken place and that they had been left behind (as the Bible discusses the rapture in the end of times). As a Christian, being in the mindset thinking that maybe I had been left behind would have scared me to death. Everyone has a different story, but what we all have in common is that we were all affected.

My heart goes out to those families still in grief over their loved ones. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives that day. May the United States come together again as one as we reflect on September 11, 2001.