Let's Be Real, Senior Year Of College Is NOT All It Is Cracked Up To Be

You thought it would be all fun and games..but it's not.

83
Unsplash

Senior year, we need to have a talk.

I'm tired, worn out, mentally fatigued, physically exhausted, and honestly felt like giving up multiple times this semester. There are many other adjectives I could use to describe how I'm feeling but let's just start with those. Maybe I'm still a newbie at this but this really sucks. You're supposed to be the fun last year of college, the year where I had finally managed my social life and figured out how not to procrastinate (teehee still working on that one).

I just have one question for you.....what the heck happened??

I'm so overwhelmed with college this semester.

I’m finally in my senior year and thought it would be challenging but still enjoyable but boy was I wrong. It’s just challenging all around. After feeling accomplished these last few semester this was the semester where my social life would be perfect, homework would be done in advance, my creative juices would overflow with ideas for my writing career, and classes would be challenging but still exciting, or so I thought.

I’m not a crier normally, save for certain movies or tv shows (here's looking at you Nemo), but after feeling so overwhelmed these last couple of months with school, in particular my foreign language class, one day I just had my breaking point. Let’s face it, everyone in college has or will have experienced being so overwhelmed that all you can do is cry. And it’s okay to unburden yourself and cry it out because if you don’t, you’ll let those emotions build up overtime and experience an overload of emotions all at once.

I’m not perfect and I’ll be the first to tell you that I keep my feelings close to the belt.

It’s not that I dislike being vulnerable with people, and this might be my introvert side coming out, but I feel guilty burdening people with my own problems. Not bragging in the slightest, but most people come to me with their problems or just to have someone to listen them and that’s fine. But I struggle with just opening my self up and expressing my feelings and this might stem from usually keeping it all bottled up inside until I was forced to let it out.

Now I'm not saying that senior year is a total bust, in fact besides these little issues it's not all bad, but it is definitely demanding. I'm also demanding more of myself this year. Tasking myself to take on more responsibilities, be less of a procrastinator, ask more questions instead of just taking one answer, and so on.

So if you're feeling a little overwhelmed with everything like I have, do yourself a favor and take a break. Whether that's giving yourself a spa-day or me-time day, do whatever you feel like doing. The most important thing is to actually do something for you and only you.