Real Life Hunger Games

Mockingjay: Part One is now available on DVD, as many of you probably know. It is a wildly popular movie from the Hunger Games series, which is about a girl trying to fight against a terrible government that uses its own citizens as slave labor, as well as segregating citizens based on class.

Several aspects of the government in this world is severely flawed, most notably the actual Hunger Games where children are sent off each year to kill each other for entertainment. The series also mentions avoxes, people who have had their tongues cut off because of breaking the law, and the violent Peacekeepers who work for the Capitol and are in charge of punishing citizens from the districts however they choose. Many people cannot imagine a world where such things could be possible, and the very thought of such things instills fear and a sense of rebellion. Many people seem to forget that there are places in the world where this series is closer to fact than fiction.

In many places in the Middle East, as well as Asia and East Africa, people face corruption in their governments every single day. Places like Syria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo are plagued with people who murder in the name of their government, much like the Peacekeepers. People like Malala Yousafzai from Pakistan have been harmed, threatened and almost killed by people who claim to act for government and justice, just like the avoxes of the Hunger Games series. In nations like Vietnam and North Korea, free speech does not exist, and the government works hard to keep its citizens blind just like the Capitol. In several countries, the Mockingjay symbol and the District 12 salute are the face of rebellion and are outlawed.

You don't have to wonder what it would be like if one such government existed, you only have to turn on the news and see what it is like. While watching the movies and reading the books, it's easy to support the obvious force of good -- Katniss -- but in the real world, people rarely show support for those who go against what is expected. Right and wrong falls somewhere in a grey area, but I think more attention should be brought to the fact that there are places out there where people really live a life like Katniss Everdeen.