The Real Danger Of Ahmed Muhammad's Clock

9

By the time this article will be published, the news of Ahmed Mohamed's arrest will be a couple of weeks old. Here's a refresher. Ahmed, a ninth-grade science whiz, presented his teacher with a homemade clock at school. Mistaking it for a bomb, the teacher had the police called and they took him away in handcuffs.

So, why is that relevant now? Because the results of this story are still being felt today. And they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

As you can imagine, social media exploded upon the news of Ahmed's arrest. People blamed an "Islamophobic" culture for the poor treatment of Ahmed. Celebrities expressed their distaste over all sorts of platforms—even President Obama got in on the action by inviting Ahmed to the White House.

But then we caught wind of some people who were less than impressed with America's reaction to the event—most notably Bristol Palin, who slammed Obama for his invitation. "This is the kind of stuff Obama needs to STAY out of," Palin wrote on her blog. "This encourages more racial strife that is already going on with the 'Black Lives Matter' crowd and encourages victimhood," which, of course, caused some negative backlash as well.

But should it have?

For Ahmed, I think it's great that the media has been so supportive. No kid should have to get arrested in school, let alone for the sole reason that he invented something. I give Ahmed credit because there's no way I could ever do that now, much less do it in my freshman year of high school.

But look at the bigger picture. If you take Bristol Palin's message at face value, she has a point. Rewarding Ahmed for a science experiment is not all that's being done here. The reaction to this event, as well as Obama's invitation, are creating a problem that does not need to exist. Why does Ahmed's religion have anything to do with what happened? What created the connection between "cautious teacher" and "Islamophobic bigotry'?

I can't say that Ahmed's teacher wasn't a prejudiced person. And I can't even say that her reaction was warranted. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that a boy brought a ticking, homemade, unidentifiable device to school. In today's world of mass shootings and school disasters, that's kind of a big deal. Why does his religion have anything to do with it? What was the point in making that the underlying theme of all the reports associated with this story?

The thing is that identifying acts like this as discrimination only further perpetuates the problem. As much as this country needs to move on from the racial tension that's defined a lot of recent headlining stories as of late, making everything an issue of race, religion and sex only ingrains the idea that there is a problem into people's brains. But this doesn't need to be a problem. We're making it one.

Ahmed's clock was harmless but the repercussions of what happened are not. The way the media has handled the issue is creating issues that don't need to be created. Had Ahmed been of a different religion, one that has not been the subject of controversy or considered a minority, what would the headlines have read? Would there have been any headlines at all? It seems that what could have been a case of a teacher being overly cautious has become an issue of "racism" all because the attention the story has brought would force one to believe that that is the case.

Racial tensions are a problem, but only to the extent of what you make them to be. Not everything that happens in America comes down to discrimination. It's time to stop the nonsense, and that will start when people hold back from attributing everything to problems of race, religion, and other human characteristics that are out of our control.