How To Get Out Of A Reading Slump

How To Get Out Of A Reading Slump

For people who love to read, but just can't bring themselves to pick up a book.

7
How To Get Out Of A Reading Slump

If you're an avid reader ,I can guess with almost certainty that at some point you've looked back on a time when you were younger, whether that be in elementary or middle school, and wonder how you read so much. I know for me, I can vividly remember hiding under the covers on my top bunk with a flashlight and a chapter book, reading way past bedtime.

I used to seek out the longest books I could find and read them in a few days. I used to read everyday and finish books, plural, in just a week, easily.

Even in high school, even though I had periods of time where I didn't read as much, I was still reading pretty regularly. As someone who wants to be a writer, reading is very important. And I do love it-- getting to travel to new worlds, meeting new people, getting invested in characters' lives and stories, its my favorite thing to do.

So why am I struggling so much now to pick up a book? If you've had this same problem, and you can't figure out why, let's take a journey together. There are a few different reasons you could be in a reading slump, and if we identify the problem, we can find the solution!

It's the book, not you

Sometimes a book doesn't connect with you and that's okay! Don't be too dedicated. Move on and come back later.

It's you, not the book

You may experience yourself in a reading slump when you have little time to read. You might also be lacking motivation. Try not to get distracted.

It's you and the book

Get it together. Pick something that will interest you. If not, you'll be left bored and with no motivation. Start small and simple!