Reasons to See a Urologist

Reasons to See a Urologist

There are many health benefits to having a urologist you can go to, here are a few if you have some budding health concerns.

5
Reasons to See a Urologist

Urology is the study of the urinary tract and reproductive organs. Urologists see both male and female patients, and their specialized knowledge can help with everything from bladder infections to sexually transmitted diseases. If you think that you might need to see a urologist, here are just a few symptoms that can prompt a visit.

Urination Problems

Urinary problems are one of the most common reasons why people seek a urologist. Maybe it hurts to "go," or maybe your urine is a different color than usual. Maybe you struggle with incontinence or some other kind of bladder problem. The causes can range from kidney stones to vaginal or yeast infections, so it's important to talk to a professional and figure out what's really happening in your body. Make sure to note any other symptoms as well.

Pain in the Pelvic Region

Women frequently mistake this for menstrual pain, but it can also be a sign of kidney stones. Another common cause of lower back discomfort is an overactive bladder or an inflamed colon. Some people can even have "referred pain" from a hernia or another localized pain source that manifests itself in the back or abdomen. All in all, if you're experiencing pain, inflammation, or bloating in unusual or excessive amounts, it might be worth seeing a urologist.

Ejaculation Problems

Many people assume that problems in the bedroom are the result of erectile dysfunction (ED), but in reality, there could be many other causes for pain or performance issues. Prostate cancer, for example, can be preceded by difficult or painful ejaculations. A urinary tract infection can cause an enlarged prostate that impacts libido. Low testosterone levels can also cause changes to your sex drive. If you've been having issues downstairs, consider contacting a urologist. They can help with ED and non-ED sexual issues alike.

Fertility Issues

While women might want to see an OB-GYN for this problem, males will be directed to a urologist. They can help to gauge your fertility levels by taking sperm samples and performing things like blood tests and scrotal ultrasounds. So if you're struggling to have a baby with your partner, it might be worth getting things checked out on your end.

These are just a few reasons that you might need to see a urologist. There are many more, so if you're experiencing any kind of trouble with your kidneys, bladder, uterus, or reproductive organs, consider contacting a professional.