Shame On You Mr. Trump For Not Honoring RBG's Last Request

According to her granddaughter, her last request was to wait until after the election before she is replaced.

25

There are many articles about Ruth Bader Ginsberg (the notorious RBG), supreme court justice that passed away last week. She was a driving force of women's rights for decades. It's refreshing to realize that many young women today know who she is and how important her life was to where they are in the world's view because of her. So why is it important that the President replace her in the speed of lightning?

As an active voter and long-standing Democrat, I don't understand the politics of this current administration. I see them as bad parents that do things like smoke pot in front of their teen and then tell the teen its illegal and don't do it. The old "do as I say, not as I do," policy that will likely come back and bite them in the ass. The political makeup of this country has become a joke all over the world. We are a mockery on the front pages of leading papers in England, France, and Germany. Most countries have lost trust in us and our ability to lead the world in any endeavor that affects them.

So why does the President want to pick a new supreme court justice so quickly? His base is already baked in. The pro-lifers are going to vote for him no matter what. They are the people who would watch him shoot someone of 5th Avenue and not flinch. The voters he is going to lose in this exercise are the ones he needs the most. The voters that voted for Obama twice and then held their nose to vote for him. His inability to see that 62% of those voters are pro-choice, and they are also affected by pre-existing conditions.

In 2016, President Obama selected a moderate, middle of the road judge in Merrick Garland, and the nation was willing to accept it. However, Senator McConnell threw his political power into the pot and Garland never saw due process. McConnell has little respect for the life of the recently passed SCOTUS, he didn't' even visit her during her historical period "lying in state," nor did he attend the funeral services on Friday. Yet he is fighting to replace her to appease his Christian base hoping to keep his seat in the Senate.

If the President was smart and listened to his advisors, he would wait on making this selection. He is already using it as a political tool, trying to blind the voters from seeing his inability to handle the pandemic. So why not dangle the selection on the carrot stick along with the health plan he's been promising for the past 4 years? Might be in his best interest to add a few semi-moderate or middle ground selections to the mix to entice the voters he is quickly going to lose if he takes a stand and pushes a possible unqualified selection through the system.

I am not saying that the three women that are on Trump's shortlist are not qualified. However, I am concerned that he is picking them based on their religions and stands on the hot topic of abortion and healthcare. Each of the supreme court justices must be fair and understand that their bias is left at the door and the only issue that can be decided is based on the law.

But here is the scariest part of this push to replace RBG, Trump is well aware that he is losing this battle and needs to stack the bench so that he can take his fight to the supreme court and win the election. Not on what the voters want but what he wants.