7 Ways To Raise Money For Your Favorite Spring Sport

School-sponsored or intramural, all sports need to get funding from somewhere.

277
Snapwire

In high school, you probably received funding for your extracurricular activities through your county or district.

In college, though, you’ve found that, unless you’re on a university-sponsored team, you have to pay to play.

The only problem with that concept is that, well, you’re in college, a time in your life when cash is notoriously tight.

One potential solution is to raise money to fund your intramural or club sport, but coming up with ways to do it can be tough. Here are seven places for you and your teammates to start:

1. Organize a prize

One of the oldest fundraising tricks in the book, a giveaway can help you raise lots more money than you initially invested. First, you’ll have to brainstorm: what must-have items do college students want and need?

Put together a prize pack, or purchase one higher-end item. Then, exchange a giveaway entry ticket for a few dollars and choose the winner at the end of a set period. Chances are, you’ll have more money in hand at the end than what you started with.

2. Sell tickets ahead of the gate

Professional sports teams do this all the time. Rather than waiting for the day of a game to let people buy tickets, start selling them well in advance. Many universities have tickets and wristbands printed ahead of time. See if you're able to start selling those official entry passes early so that, rain or shine, your team will already have some sales under its belt.

And, if you play an intramural or club sport, it's easy enough to create your own tickets or wristbands for other students to show support. Even if people aren't likely to watch your intramural event, they might still be enticed to buy a wristband to show support for campus clubs and activities.

3. Open the field to others

Depending on the popularity of your games, you could entice fans to donate with a promise that they’ll get to see an exclusive part of the field or training facility in return. You can promise them a walk on the pitch at halftime, a tour of your dugout and locker rooms or even a glimpse at the gym where you train.

And, if your club or intramural team isn’t as big a draw as the university’s official squad, ask them if you can offer tours of their facilities when they’re not in use.

4. Bake, sell, earn

As you know, dorms often lack in the facilities that allow you to cook to your utmost potential. Because of this, you and your classmates crave the home-cooked flavors you used to enjoy every day. You can use this longing to your advantage.

Gather at a teammate’s house who has an oven, and whip up some sweets for a team bake sale. Place your table strategically — perhaps outside the library or dining hall — so that you know passersby will be in the mood for a sweet treat. Do your best to connect with those around you by smiling and engaging them in conversation so they know why you’re raising money — who could say no to a cookie that’s giving back to a noble cause?

5. Get to work

As able-bodied athletes, you can use your strength to your advantage in this fundraising drive. Think about the services that the university community and its surrounding town or city could use; then, step up and offer to do them for a fee.

This could really be anything, especially if you start moving into the local community’s needs. Everything from car washes to litter clean up to landscaping to dog walking could make you money.

6. Donate to vote in a special election

Are you designing new uniforms? Do you want to change the look of your mascot? Does your team need a new name? All of these decisions can be made by a vote — and your fans will love to take part in the process.

To make it a fundraiser, ask for a donation before allowing spectators to cast their votes. You’ll earn the money you need for those new uniforms, and your fans will love them because they had a hand in choosing the design.

7. Make conditioning a class

Not all of your practices are centered on your sport. You might take part in some additional training, too, which has you in the gym lifting weights or on the track running cardio drills.

Your conditioning would make a great workout for your classmates, too, so give them an option to attend for a small fee. They’ll get some good exercise in and, without any change in your schedule, you will make some money off of an activity that you do anyway.

Your fundraising requirements don’t have to be a burden — they can be the perfect excuse to brainstorm with your teammates, work together and see a goal through to the end.

Not only will you raise the money you need, but you’ll also make memories with one another in the process — both on and off the field.