Ke$ha's "Rainbow" Is More Than Just A Rebirth

Kesha is a musical revolutionary who deserves all the happiness in the world.

19
Mashable

While many fans and listeners of the new release are poised to call "Rainbow" Kesha's fourth studio album, I posit that they are wrong. The artist Ke$ha was a pop icon of her time, without any doubt. Garnering for herself a solid fan base and fame, the artist "key-dollar sign-ha" created a culture of Animals, encouraging her fans to be true to themselves. And while many fans of old might wish for those same synthetic vocals and electric pop sounds, Ke$ha no longer exists. As people live and grow, personas change and evolve, and the energy we put into the world becomes different.

"Rainbow" is just that. Kesha, as she is known now, is not the same person she was back during the release of "Cannibal" in 2010, and has been reborn as a new pop icon of her time pushing the boundaries of genre form and sound and encouraging her listeners to always stay true to themselves. With the release of her debut album, Animals globally were speechless.

Here is my take on each track, in album order, of the artistic masterpiece that is "Rainbow".

"Bastards"

The album's opening track, "Bastards," is a gentle reminder to fans to remain strong through life. Not only does this track show her fans that she hasn't changed her guiding principles in life, but the simplicity of a single guitar and pure vocals through the majority of the song showcases her raw talent and ability. Ending on four stanzas of quartets of "na, na, na" with back up singers, this lets the listeners know that this album isn't just hers, its all of ours and is a thank you for the support through her most recent tribulations.

"Let 'Em Talk" (feat. Eagles of Death Metal)

The second track, "Let 'Em Talk", is a powerful statement of self-confidence and growth. The opening lines "you got your own opinions / ... / It used to hurt me, used to bring me down / Do your worst, 'cause nothing's gonna stop me now" set the atmosphere for the listener, reminding them that she too is a human. The constant electric guitar and catchy beat underlying her powerful vocals take the listeners back to the early 2000s, creating an air of nostalgia for the 90s kids of today. And I can't go without at least just mentioning my favorite line, "I've decided all the haters everywhere can suck my dick / Un, deux, trois, four!" How can you not just love that?

"Woman" (feat. The Dap-Kings Horns)

As the second released single, "Woman" is the feminist empowered bop that we've been waiting for. Not only is Kesha flipping the patriarchal narrative of power and ownership - "I buy my own things, I pay my own bills / These diamond rings, my automobiles" - but this single was Kesha's statement to everyone who still had questions about her mental health, and she doesn't mess around. From the booming trumpets in the background to giggling through the last line of the last verse, the track exudes triumphant power. However, I don't really know how I feel about the bridge; her use of the phrase "Don't touch my weave" just rubs me the wrong way.

"Hymn"

"Hymn" is Kesha's call to prayer, singing to all the people in the world who feel as the outcasts of the world. "Who we are is no mistake / This is just the way we're made / You know what I mean, you on the team", Kesha wants her fans to feel loved and be accepted in the crazy societies that we live in. Always trying to remind them, that they are perfect the way they are.

"Praying"

The first released single, "Praying" is exactly what the Animals wanted to hear from Kesha after all of the news of her sexual assault court case. Addressing very specifically the abuse she faced at the hands of Dr. Luke, she says "I can thank you for how strong I have become". With the slow tempo and musical build up, Kesha broke back out into the musical world with this track showing her competition that she is a force to be reckoned with.

"Finding You"

As the sixth track, we are well into the album and her rebirth. It is only right that we here her yearn for love and acceptance for herself. Kesha tells us all she only wants is fantastical, imaginative love, the love that changes worlds and fills the universe: "I'm gonna search your love, right through Hell and Heaven."

"Rainbow"

The title track to the album, "Rainbow" is her reminder to the world that she too is human. She is flawed, she is childish, she has scars and feels pain and is in no way perfect. But you can still be happy, "But just put those colors on, girl / Come and paint the world with me tonight". Again, repeating her mantra to her fans: be confident, spread love.

"Hunt You Down"

"Hunt You Down" is the love jam the world didn't know we wanted. We've all been in the situation where we have fallen so hard and so fast that it feels like you just can't stop thinking about them, and this is just that. "I ain't afraid to get a little crazy / Baby, when I'm in love" Kesha is preaching the truth. She's not trying to be abusive, or possessive, "I've never hurt nobody", she's just giving you a warning that when she's in love, she's ready to move mountains to be with you. The twangy country vibe she's giving out ties all of her feelings together with a little bit of nostalgia to the love ballads that so many country artists become famous for.

"Boogie Feet" (Feat. Eagles of Death Metal)

The second song on the album that features Eagles of Death Metal, this song is all about having a good time. Singing about "boogie feet" Kesha is just trying to have a good 'ole time. This song is easily one of my favorites because of its childish, jovial nature. With a quick EDM remix, I can see this bop being the next club hit of the century.

"Boots"

A common theme in this album is queering the conventional rockstar narrative of male performers being womanizers and party animals while the women are just following them in tow. "Boots" is another one on the album that flips that narrative on its head. "I have boys in every country code / Just a rolling stoner on a roll" is Kesha's rockstar lifestyle shining through once again. It is no surprise that she owns the power of someone else's attraction to her - "I know you love me wearing nothing but your boots".

"Old Flames (Can't Hold a Candle To You)" [feat. Dolly Parton]

It surprised everyone to hear that Kesha would be harmonizing with the country icon that is Dolly Parton on this album. While a lot of people were skeptical on how successful or "good" the track would be these powerful women have no doubt blown me out of the water. The raw talent in this song is just astounding. A track about reminiscing with past lovers, this song reiterates another theme that exists throughout the album: love. These powerful women are the ones who, despite all environmental factors and people in their lives are singing about love, loss, and the strength that the love they feel has. Slow and steady, this track is mellow, slow tempo, and allows two powerhouse vocal icons to just let their talent fly.

"Godzilla"

"Godzilla" is the perfect summation of everything it means to fall in love with the "wrong" person. Likened to relationships that society has refused to accept, Kesha sings "What do you get when you take Godzilla to meet your mom?" only to be met with the cops being called. And as funny as it is to imagine falling in love with Godzilla, the reality of someone calling the cops on your true love just because of the way they look is too true for people in our society. A beautiful commentary on politics that ruled the 1900s and parts of the country today, this song is one that everyone needs to listen to.

"Spaceship"

As the last track on the album, "Spaceship" is all about the end. The first verse talking about the end of her own life, she sings "You don't need to cry, I'm gon' be going home" leading into the chorus "I'm waiting for my space to come back to me / It's coming back for me". Kesha has always been known to have an idealistic view of the world, feeling all the pain of world right in the core of her heart as if it was all happening to her at that exact moment. This song is her cry to the world, for all the people out there that also feel that pain in the core of their being, she wants you to know that your people full of love are coming back for you.

"Rainbow" is easily the best album of 2017. Experimental in nature, Kesha pushes the boundaries of what it means to be a pop artist and flips the nasty patriarchal nature of the culture surrounding what it means to be a rock star. 10/10 would recommend this album to everyone I know.