Radical Feminism Is Damaging The Image Of The Feminist Movement

Man-hating isn't cute.
4488

Before I start this article, I want to state that I am a feminist and I am not trying to bash feminism. I believe women should have equal opportunities in jobs and schooling compared to their male counterparts. I also believe women should be respected as human beings and not viewed as purely a sexual object whose sole purpose is to reproduce. However, that’s not what this article is about.

There are quite a few issues I have with radical feminism. First and foremost, I’m sick of this new fad where women like to tear down men on social media and say things like “all men are trash” and “ugh I just hate men.” Tweeting about how you hate men isn't cute; honestly it’s just plain ignorant. I’m not going to sit here and pretend all men are angels and do no wrong, but women aren’t perfect either. People of both genders do horrible things, and there are people of both genders who are great people who don’t deserve to be categorized as “trash” just because of their gender.

This whole “man hating” fad is damaging the image of all feminists, most of whom believe that men and women should be treated equally and that men are not better than women and women are not better than men. Radical feminists hate the idea that some men believe they’re better than women, so I don’t know why they think it’s okay to try and state that women are better than men. FEMINISM IS ABOUT EQUALITY. These radical feminists who are constantly bashing men are what make people view all feminists as “man haters.” That is not what feminism is about, and I’m aggravated that radical feminists are tarnishing the feminist movement’s image by spewing this ignorance.

Another huge problem I have with radical feminism is that these women bash other women if they don’t agree with their radical views. Feminism is about equality and giving women the right to choose how they want to live their life. Want to be a stay at home mom? Great, spend time with your kids! Want to go to medical school to become a surgeon and have no kids? Great, get that degree! Some women want to be completely independent and have a career of their own, and some women want to be a stay at home mom who takes care of the house and kids, and some women want something in between. Ultimately, all of the choices are okay.

Women should be able to have the choice to do what they want with their life. What I tend to see a lot of is radical feminists bashing those women who want to be stay-at-home moms and be supported by their husbands. They say that they’re ruining equality for all women by allowing men to continue to run their lives, and I’m sorry but that’s just plain bullshit. If a woman wants to be a stay at home mom or a housewife, let her. I don’t understand why another woman’s life choices affect these other women so greatly. It’s her choice; the point of feminism is to allow women to have a choice. Stop bashing women for the life choices they make.

Feminism is not a bad movement. However, I do believe radical feminism is damaging the image of the feminist movement, which is what is causing so many men and even women to say they don’t support it. I even hesitate saying that I’m a feminist because of the bad image radical feminism has given it. No gender is better than the other, and women should be able to live their lives however they want. Radical feminism just can’t seem to grasp that.