Previously I wrote an article titled, "How the Rhetoric of 'White Privilege' is Used Incorrectly", where I touched briefly upon the most legitimate aspect of white privilege, which is the racial bias against African-Americans and Hispanics in law enforcement that Whites do not share. I would like to use this as an opportunity to expand upon what I said there to address how we, as a society, should move forward.

To paraphrase myself, there is clear proof of arbitrary racial profiling against the Hispanic and African-American communities when it comes to law enforcement. However, this is not due to arbitrary racism or "white privilege". There is a legitimate factual basis for this bias, as shown by Department of Justice statistics which state that more people, on average, in black and Hispanic communities commit crimes than in the White community. I went on to say that arbitrary racial profiling occurs when those statistics get extrapolated into a generalization that "all Blacks and Hispanics are dangerous" which is, of course, false. However, we cannot deny the effects of this assumption which do lead to an arbitrary bias against minority communities. How, then, do we proceed?

Firstly, we must acknowledge where we can improve. We need to acknowledge that law enforcement can improve when it comes to objectivity. We must also acknowledge that there is a legitimate factual basis for existing subjectivity. Because of this, we must acknowledge the dangers of overcorrection for this bias to avoid underpolicing the minority communities in a so-dubbed act of equality. The Black and Hispanic communities commit more crimes on average and therefore require more policing on average.

We need to acknowledge the fact that one of the biggest problems facing the Black community currently is underpolicing. Multiple leftist journalists have spoken to the fact that, in order to improve the quality of life in inner-city Black communities, there needs to be an increase in law enforcement. People who endanger the quality of life in said inner city communities need to locked up and kept off the street to begin seeing real change in the quality of life there. Acknowledging that inner-city minority communities require higher rates of policing can 1. Help their citizens feel safer and 2. Bring in outside investments to improve small scale economies and create job opportunities. In turn, this can help end cyclical poverty, which, according to the Brooking Institute, can be broken by individuals who 1. Graduate high school 2. Find a job and 3. Don't get pregnant before marriage. More policing can be a catalyst for creating investment opportunities which open up jobs that can help people break out of the poverty trap.

Furthermore, in terms of overcorrection, we cannot assume that because some cops have racist tendencies that all cops are bad. This would be an overcorrection that would undermine the rule of law and cause more problems than there currently are. We must continue to have faith in the police and not disregard them as arbitrarily racist because that is another false generalization. In summary, we cannot deny the bias against minority communities, but, at the same time, we must not assume that this is because America is racist. Furthermore, while we can work on improvement, we must also not overcorrect for this bias by underpolicing minority communities or undermining rule of law.