R. Kelly Faces New Accusations And Hopefully This Means The End Of His Reign Of Terror

"Surviving R. Kelly" helped to shed light on what was in the shadows for too long and now consequences have been dealt.

1284

R. Kelly is one of the most prominent R&B; artists of the '80s and '90s. However, his business as an artist is not the main reason his name is now resurfacing. Due to the attention brought on by a documentary, "Surviving R. Kelly", many started realizing what others tried to mention years ago.

In the documentary, the stories of numerous women who all have had contact with him talked in great detail about the terrors they encountered and horrors they still face. Included in those who took part in the documentary are Sparkle, Wendy Williams, Tarana Burke, and 50 others. Many talked about his obsession with pedophilia while mentioning his and predatory behavior toward women and abuse (physically, verbally, and sexually).

As of February 22, 2019, Robert Sylvester Kelly was charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse.

These charges are criminal, felonies, and were filled through Cook County in Illinois. "Surviving R. Kelly" shed light to what was in the shadows for too long and now consequences have just been dealt.

In the past, R. Kelly and his team have been able to slip through the grasps of justice. He was acquitted in 2008 for child pornography charges and numerous other incidents throughout the years. This time around, the R&B; artist is being investigated by three different federal law enforcement agencies surrounding evidence, testimonies, and statements made by those involved in the filming of the documentary.

A 45-minute tape including an underage 14-year-old girl and R. Kelly has been presented to prosecutors leading to the filing of charges. To note, this video is separate from the videos in which previously were used in cases on different charges. Along with this new video, two additional accusers have stepped forward to detail their encounters with the artist. These two women are a former protege and mother of a daughter who is presently involved with him.

Former protege, Lizzette Martinez went on to say when she was 17-years-old and forced into sexual acts numerous times with Kelly. Eventually becoming pregnant with R. Kelly`s child, Lizzette Martinez felt pressured by him to have an abortion; she ultimately miscarried later on. The other accuser, Michelle, explained her daughter`s ("N's") relationship with him. Michelle said that communication between her daughter and her is limited because R. Kelly`s enforced restrictions. R. Kelly and his team have denied all allegations multiple times as he is a "God-fearing man". As of the 24th, news was released stating is in jail, unable to pay for the set $100,000 bond. While some still question the authenticity of these charges, others question if R. Kelly will actually face the consequences of his actions.

With these new charges and "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary, there is an important factor society must understand before his case continues and similar ones are filled. Between lust, fame, money, power, and more, there are hundreds of reasons why R. Kelly did not face convictions others would have easily. Yes, he is profitable, rich, and all of those hundred reasons but they are not suitable reasons that can come close in justifying these allegations.

AND EVEN MORE IMPORTANT there is NO reason for ANYONE to commit such crimes.

There is also no justifiable reason for anyone to commit such crimes and be able to get away with their actions time and time again. Over the course of his career, there have always been allegations and until the documentary, no one listened. It is time to give survivors the time and our ears for their story to be told and listened to.