The 5 Best Quotes From Life, Music And Literature

They never fail.
50

I have been known to have very diverse interests when it comes to music, movies, et cetera.

My favorite movie, for instance, is Goodfellas; anyone who knows me knows that if I hear that someone has not seen it, I will immediately try to make them become at least half as obsessed as I am. Rarely am I successful in this endeavor, but I figure that people will realize soon enough that it is a must-see classic.

That being said, my rather unique taste in pop culture has inspired me to make a list of my five favorite quotes of all time.

1. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

I refer to this quote on a regular basis. Not only was it said by a legendary hockey player (one of my two favorite sports), it shows that no matter what, you should always aim for the stars and take risks that could possibly change your life. Sure, life can be scary at times, but at the end of the day, putting yourself out there is worth it and it should always be done.

2. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you just might find you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want

This was actually my senior quote, after hours of deliberation and trying to figure out which quote would be the least 'basic' for when I want to reminisce on my high school years. I think it is safe to say that I picked a unique blurb for my portion of the yearbook, and this will forever be one of my favorite songs. This is a particularly important song lyric to me because it exemplifies how life will not always go your way. It is bound to fall apart sometimes. It is okay to want something that you cannot have. At the end of the day, however, you get what you need.

3. "It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived." - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Out of all the great quotes from this novel, this is by far one of the most memorable for me. Scout's admiration toward her father is quite apparent throughout, but this quote exemplifies how he is a man who is courageous enough to go against the majority. Though he is tormented for defending an African American male in a very racially-charged era, he teaches us all that it is OK to do things in accordance with your morals and what you believe in -- despite what others may say.

4. "It's a great advantage not to drink among hard drinking people." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

This quote from Gatsby is quite similar to the ideas I presented in #3. In a socially active world, it is hard to stray away from conformity and be your own person. However, viewing the world from your own lense can be surprisingly beneficial. Though you may feel tempted to be like everyone else, it is refreshing to take a few steps back and live the lifestyle that you want.

5. "You learn two great things in your life. [Look at me], never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Robert De Niro, Goodfellas

This is my all-time favorite quote from my all-time favorite movie -- hands down. I think we should all try to take this advice when it comes to friendships and relationships in which there should be always be trust. Like my dad always says (in reference to this movie), nobody likes a rat, so always keep that in mind. Trustworthy people are so, so important to find and keep around.