Chris Brown Should Have Been In Jail After He Abused Rihanna

If You Are Excusing Chris Brown's Hateful Actions, You Should Be In The Cell Next To Him

Stop excusing violence towards women just because you think a guy makes good music.

530
Palm Beach County Sherrif's Department

In not-so-surprising news, Chris Brown was recently detained in Paris after a woman accused him of rape. Why am I saying "not-so-surprising," you may ask? Because this isn't the first time that Chris Brown has been proven to be a violent threat towards women.

It all began in 2009 when he assaulted Rihanna when the two were in a relationship.

He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to five years of probation and 1,400 hours of community service and counseling.

But it didn't end there.

One of his ex-girlfriends, model Karrueche Tran, requested a five-year restraining order against Brown in 2017. In August of 2016, he was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon after a woman called the police and reported that Brown had threatened her.

What happened as a result? You'd think surely someone with such a history of violence in general, not even just toward women, would receive some severe punishment? Surely they wouldn't still have a popular music career?

And that's where you'd be wrong. Aside from spending a few days in prison, some community service hours, restraining orders, counseling, and a good chunk of bail money, nothing severe seems to happen to Chris Brown despite countless acts of violence towards both men and women.

There's no doubt that his affluent wealth as a celebrity contributes to dodging more severe legal action. But as for his continued popularity as an artist in 2019, how can we excuse that?

Because just like Chris Brown, his fans just don't care about women.

Because he makes "good music" that reminds you of your childhood, like "Kiss Kiss." Because with Rihanna, it "happened so long ago" and he's "changed since then." Because one wrong thing in the past shouldn't define his entire future. Right?

Except that's not the case. Chris Brown has abused women time and time again, and instead of caring, his fans decide to stream "Freaky Friday" and applaud a potential collab with Drake. No matter how many times his mugshot appears in the news, no one really cares.

French police haven't released the name of the woman who accused Brown of rape and assault, and they shouldn't have to to get people to care or believe that it happened.

The women who have been abused by Chris Brown throughout the past decade are strong, powerful, and deserve to be believed.

They deserve more than millions of people constantly defending the man that hurt them, the man that took so much from them.

After the premiere of the documentary about R. Kelly and his long history of sexual abuse allegations, people were shocked, disgusted, and angry. Angry that these things happened for so long and without anyone acknowledging it despite some knowing, at least to some extent. So, why isn't that happening here?

Why aren't people angrier at Chris Brown? Why isn't his label dropping him, just like R. Kelly's did to him? Why is there a certain amount of abuse that men can inflict on women that is acceptable? What R. Kelly did to so many women is absolutely disgusting, but we shouldn't wait until that point to be outraged.

Chris Brown has been a continued threat to women for an entire decade.

Hell, he's been a threat to everyone for a decade. How many more women does he have to hurt or be accused of hurting for you to start caring? At what point will his fans draw the line and start treating women as people who deserve better and aren't just someone they think is lying to hurt their favorite artist?

If you continue to excuse Chris Brown's repeated misogynistic violence, you're part of the problem.