How To Make Mornings Less Terrible

How To Make Mornings Less Terrible

An Easy Guide For Those Who Feel Like The Walking Dead Any Time Before 11am

1
How To Make Mornings Less Terrible

Let’s face it. Early morning classes (or morning classes in general, for that matter) are the true plight of college students everywhere. Every semester comes with newfound determination to wake up early, quickly followed by the realization of the profound misery that is the early morning class. So, with fall not too far off, it seems appropriate to have a strategy to conquer the monstrous beast of early morning before it rears its ugly head, rendering us incapable of resisting its drowsy clutches.

Now let’s be clear that no one, in their heart of hearts, truly likes waking up in the morning. The shrill beeping of the alarm clock that forces you to drag your lifeless body from the cozy protection of the blankets? No one wants that. I don’t think anyone is naturally a “morning person,” but I’ve found a few things make mornings a little less miserable. And who knows, maybe one day you’ll become one of those bizarre creatures you call “morning people”.

1. Breakfast

Maybe it’s because I’m a foodie, but knowing that a decent breakfast is waiting for me makes getting out of bed just a little bit easier. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but a good bagel, pastry, or even a bowl of lucky charms can give me a little extra motivation—not sure what that says about where I find motivation in life, but that’s another topic (who am I kidding, we all know it’s food).

2. Coffee

Ah, sweet, sweet lifeblood. I don’t want to encourage caffeine addiction to any impressionable youths, but a cup of coffee in the morning really does work wonders. It’s an acquired taste, but there’s a reason people drink it. So pull out that French press, areo-press, pourover, or automatic and get brewing. Heck, just get an IV with the stuff (don’t actually do that).

3. Work Out

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Why add another thing I don’t want to do to my morning? Isn’t getting up hard enough? Yes, getting up is hard enough, but a quick work out can really help you wake up. It might not be fun, but it certainly takes the edge off your unrelenting sleepiness. Plus, once you get into a routine, it’s not as bad as you might think.

4. Plan

Without a reason to get up, you just won’t get up (I know), but having a plan gives you the extra strength to heave yourself from your cozy morning cocoon. Set a schedule for yourself and stick to it. Giving yourself things to do in the morning will force you out of your grumpy slumber.

5. Do it

There’s really no way to turn yourself into a morning person. But we all have to face the inevitable and brutal reality that mornings do, in fact, exist. No one likes facing the cold, harsh world outside of the covers, but with a few good habits the task can seem a little less daunting.