7 Questions People Who Love Working Out Are Tired Of Hearing

Sure, everyone says fit is fabulous - that is, until your inner workout freak really shows

167
Google

Since late high school, I have come to appreciate exercise in a whole new light.

Now, this was not always the case. For most of my childhood, I loathed exercise. Sure, I danced in theater and (attempted) to run track and cross country in middle school, but my nickname on the cross country team was "Walker," if that gives you any indication of my athletic ability. As I got older, however, something changed me. That something was prom. Ah, yes, the moment all high school girls dream about. For me, however, it was the time to get in shape so I would be ready to dance the night away in my rockin' short prom dress. So began my ritual of working out daily, but ultimately, it turned into a passion that has persisted ever since.

While people often voice their approval at being so dedicated to fitness, it is a slightly different attitude when they actually see how dedicated you are. As a result, fitness fiends get bombarded with the same questions. All. The. Time.

So here it is: the seven things people who love working out are tired of hearing.

1. "Do you have to workout tonight? You work out all the time!"

Do I have to? No. Do I want to? Yes.

At the end of every long, tedious day, that forty five minutes of blasting music, pure exhaustion, and absolute silence to the outside world is what I crave throughout the day. It's not just about health or appearance, but it is my way of releasing my day, removing tension, and re-calibrating my mental state. Does that mean I'm anti-social? No, but if I can make plans later to get in a quick run? You bet I will!

2. "Why do you always have that gym bag with you? You're starting to look like a bag lady!"

Sadly, my passion for fashion and my passion for fitness creates a dilemma each morning as I haul my bags to work. A lunch bag, a purse, and a gym bag create quite the armful and typically receive comments as I lumber through the lobby. A struggle, sure, but what other options do I have? Layer my gym clothes underneath my work clothes? I think not!

3. "Aren't you afraid you're going to bulk up lifting weights?"

This is possibly the worst question for girls to be asked. Please do us a favor, and do your research before asking this.

4. "But you're already thin! Why do you work every day?"

Refer to point one, ladies and gentlemen! It isn't an appearance thing, though that is a plus. It's a mental and physical catharsis. Getting thin is not the goal, but being happy is. Having self-esteem is important, but being healthy matters even more.

5. "Where do you put all that food?!"

Lifting and running, dudes. I will often joke that I exercise so I can eat what I want (self-proclaimed foodie, here), but honestly, working out makes me always feel hungry. It also makes hanger a real thing for me (shout out to my honey for dealing with Hangry Chloe); eating regularly is necessary to keep me happy.

6. "Doesn't it bother you that people can watch you work out when you're at the gym?"

When I first started running, I couldn't go beyond a quarter of a mile. When I first started lifting, I couldn't squat over thirty pounds. Compared to a lot of people, I am still a runt, but for me, I have made (and exceeded!) personal goals. Having people watch me is the least of my worries because I am focused on meeting my goals - not someone else's.

7. "Why do you even LIKE working out?"

It's the place in my life where I can see and feel the struggle and the results. It's a time to focus on myself and no one else, think but not talk, and mentally and physically strengthen myself. It helps me handle stress, exhaustion, and frustration. I feel my best and my most beautiful when I am done with a workout.

But despite the questions, criticism, and confusion we get when we confess our love of exercise, we fitness fiends stick together. We know it's not just a habit. It's a lifestyle.