Questions for the OITNB Writers

Questions for the OITNB Writers

Season 4 Changed Everything

25
Questions for the OITNB Writers

Season 4 of Orange is the New Black made me cringe more times than a TV show should. From the racist remarks to the awful guards, this season is like no other. Even though there were some awful things in this season, I still believe this season was done well and left viewers discussing serious issues about the prison industry and racial inequality. Here are some questions for the writers.

*This article contains Season 4 spoilers*

Why does Chapman suck?

At the beginning of the season 4, Chapman was awful. Anytime she would speak, she would basically say her name and how she is a big deal in the prison. Her business got to her head which made her the most annoying character on the show. Towards the middle of the season, she calmed down which helped make her so much more tolerable.

Is the racism in Season 4 a representation of the racism of the writers of the show or a representation of the racism with in the prison system?

There are certain aspects of the show that display racism within the prison. There is some racism for no reason (see below) and things that the guards do that are questionable. The guards specifically target the Latino and African American characters for random searches. We live in a world where those races are often targeted. Are the random searches a representation of the racism in the system, or the writers being ignorant?

What about the racism for absolutely no reason?

After episode nine, there were racist comments towards the inmates. Things like "n*gger lover" that were completely unnecessary to advance the plot of the show. Chanting "white lives matter" does not reflect the prison industry, it reflects the ignorance and stupidity of society. Why did white inmates believe America does not focus on the accomplishments of white people? A guard referring to Crazy Eyes as an ape is completely inappropriate. I could write an actual essay on every racist term used in Season 4. There are three racist inmates that do not make the show any better. I cringed anytime they would speak.

Where is Bennett?

The show is already great but bringing back Bennett would make it so much better.

Why are the guards awful?

These guards made me so uncomfortable it makes me sick. From the guard that put a gun to Maritza's head to eat a mouse to guards forcing the inmates to fight. The scene where Crazy Eyes had to fight made me feel so uncomfortable. These guards actually treat the inmates like animals. Piscitella took full advantage of his power and it made viewers hate all of the guards. Are the guards so bad to represent who actually runs real life prisons?

Why has prison turned into a version of a crappy summer camp?

Judy King and Yoga Jones had their own beds, coffee machines, a cell phone and it looked like summer camp. From my understanding from previous documentaries about prison, OITNB no longer depicts prison life in an accurate way. A prisioner was scolded for having a cell phone. In reality, if a prisoner has a cell phone, they can be contacting the outside world and plan an attack. Cell phones are so dangerous in prison and they barely addressed the issue this season.

Why are you guys trying to make people feel badly for Chapman?

Towards the end of the season, Chapman was not as annoying as normal. Season 3 made most viewers hate her, but why make us sympathize for her? Her constant crying and her feeling sorry for herself is the worst.

Why Poussey?

Obviously, this season ended in such a sad way. I found it very interesting that death of this season was someone who was completely innocent and never violent. An African American inmate was killed by a white, young Caucasian CO by accident. Is the reason for this to remind viewers of the black lives matter movement and for us to think about what is going on in the world?

Although this season made me extremely angry, it was done very well. Thank you for addressing mental illness and addictions in this season as well. The last episode ended with a cliff hanger unlike season 3. Will Daya kill shoot the CO?