7 Questions Every Twin Is Tired Of Getting Asked

No, we can't read each other's minds.
350

May 4th is Star Wars Day, Audrey Hepburn's birthday and national orange juice day. It's also the day the world was blessed with two incredible, hilarious and extremely good-looking babies: Colleen and Joey, me and my twin brother.

Growing up with a twin brother, people were always asking us questions. I remember in preschool, nobody even knew what a twin was. No matter how hard we tried to explain we were brother and sister born on the same day, nobody seemed to get it. The theme of the year was "What's a twin?"

The questions have been downhill from there.

OK, some of the questions people ask me about being a twin are totally understandable. "Who was born first?" (me) "How many minutes apart?" (one minute) and "Are you close?" (as close as most siblings are, really). But some of the questions I get asked truly just make me face palm. I'm genuinely entertained by the questions people think of to ask about my twin status. Here are some of the worst.

1. Are you identical?

This is by far my favorite. He is my twin brother. Since when are boys and girls identical? Can you not deduce that because we are different genders, we are definitely not identical?

2. Can you read each other's minds?

I'll be honest, when we were young, we'd love to lie and and say yes, then pretend like we were reading each other's minds to try and make people think we were amazing. My brother would say, "Colleen, what am I thinking about?" and I'd say something totally random, and he would pretend like I totally got it right. We were awful. But, now when people ask if we can read each other's minds, I can't help but giggle a little bit. Twin telepathy is not a skill we are blessed with. In fact, I'm not even sure it's something ANY twins are blessed with.

3. Do you like your twin brother?

Do I like my brother? Um, yes? People seem to think that because we're twins, maybe we don't like each other.

4. Do you look alike?

I get this question so much. I understand if it's someone who's never met my brother. But if you have, I'm so confused as to why you're asking if we look alike. You can see us, so...

5. Do you know you look nothing alike? Do you know you look just like each other?

This question is similar to the one above. Some people seem to think we look a lot a like, some people think we look like we aren't related at all. It's crazy that there's so many different opinions on whether or not we look alike. Personally, I think we look like brother and sister and are definitely related, but we don't look alarmingly the same.

6. Do you guys ever fight?

Do you have a sibling? Have you ever fought with them?

7. Is it so weird being a twin?

Actually, no. Because it's all I've ever known. I've never not been a twin, so it's my normal. It's like asking someone if it's weird having an older sister. Of course it isn't; it's normal for them.

I like having a brother who's going through life at the same rate I am. I always have someone to joke around with or talk to about what's going on, because we can always relate. I genuinely love being a twin.