13 Comments That Will Make Your Ice Cream Scooper Lose Their Chill

Believe it or not, I don't actually make the prices.

626
Kaboompics

It's that wonderful time of year when ice cream scoopers are at their busiest. Everyone's squeezing in all the ice cream trips they can before summer's end, and who can blame them? But nevertheless, that does not give you permission to be a difficult customer. Below are just a few things that really get under our skin so that you know what not to do and can be a better customer in the future.

1. "Give me"/"I need"/"I want"

This is how I greet customers: "Hello, how are you?" Do you understand how rude it is for the first thing that comes out of your mouth after that to be "give me a large cup of maple walnut." This type of demand usually comes from the older customers. Y'all complain about us millennials being annoying, but apparently you people never even learned basic manners.

2. "Can I have a vanilla ice cream?"

Hard or soft-serve vanilla? Cup or cone? What kind of cone? What size? Would you like any toppings on that?

3. "Oh, actually, can I have some rainbow sprinkles on this? And maybe hot fudge? And I guess some whipped cream, too."

This is why I asked you if wanted any toppings before I made your ice cream. Okay, problem one: no, I can't put hot fudge on your ice cream if it's in a cone. Do you really not know how science works? Problem two: toppings like fudge take up room in the cup, of which I did not leave any because you didn't tell me you wanted any toppings. Problem three: shockingly, turning your simple scoop of ice cream into an extravagant sundae does cost extra. Why would you wait until after I've rung you out to ask for toppings?

4. "Do you have anything that's sugar-free, fat-free, gluten-free and dairy-free?"

Yes. Water.

5. "$5.00 for an ice cream? That's outrageous."

So go to the grocery store and buy yourself a tub for two bucks, no one forced you to come here (sidenote: I DON'T MAKE THE PRICES).

6. "I dropped my ice cream, can I get a new one?"

Oh, the droppers. First of all, don't expect us to say yes if you just left your ice cream to melt all over the ground instead of putting it in the trash. Second, that's what happens when you order our largest size on our smallest cone.

7. "I actually wanted this in a cone."

Maybe you should've thought of that when I asked you "cone or cup?" and you said cup.

8. "Do you have gummy worms?"

No, we're an ice cream shop not a movie theater concession stand.

9. "Wow this is melting fast."

I mean that tends to happen when it's 92 degrees with 100% humidity and you're ordering ice cream.

10. "Can I try a sample of your cotton candy? And your cookie dough? And your bubblegum?"

Do you just want to try the whole menu while you're at it or...?

11. "I'll take six chocolate milkshakes, extra thick."

Sure thing, as long as you're expecting to wait half an hour for them.

12. "I'll take mint chocolate chip. Also, I have a severe tree nut allergy so can you just wash the scoop?"

I know this one's not totally your fault, but even if I clean a scoop for you, all the tubs of ice cream are right next to each other. I know you want that mint chocolate chip, but it's right next to a tub of chocolate peanut butter. Just stick with soft-serve. Sorry, I'm not going to be the person who sends you to the emergency room.

13. "You've got the best job out there."

Listen, I know working surrounded by ice cream all day sounds great, but this job is anything but glamorous. No, it's not the roughest job out there, but it's a job nonetheless. We strain our backs lifting 5-gallon tubs of ice cream all day, we're back and forth on our feet for six hours, we slice ourselves all the time opening cans, we get covered head to toe in dried up ice cream, and we deal with the most petty and ridiculous of complaints (seriously, you don't even know how defensive people can get over their ice cream). Yeah, we get to take home a cup of ice cream at the end of the night, but please don't think that belittles our job and the work that goes into it.