I Am A Queen Crowned In My Curls

I Am A Queen Crowned In My Curls

It's not just a hairstyle.

955
I Am A Queen Crowned In My Curls
Taina Almeida

I love my natural hair because it sets me free. It's not all about having a certain "look" of beauty. I can go almost anywhere and feel confident in myself because there are cultural equivalents to the staples in my regime. I can enjoy life more knowing I don't have to deal with the stress of having to pay to get my hair done all the time. And best of all I'm not trying hard to be something that I'm not. My hair is as "me" as it could possible be. And I admit that I like knowing that if I ever did have a change of heart about my hair, I can transform it instead of cutting it off and starting from scratch.

Nowadays, black women are taunted about what type of hair they have. Weather it being long or short, curling or kinky. Social media has made the claim that if a black women had long hair it couldn't be all hers. Well that's were people are wrong. Women who have natural hair are proud of what they have; it could vary from a TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro) to the BA (Big Afro). No matter what type of hair a black women has she shouldn't be ashamed of it, and it's not the medias job to portray it as something bad.

Now lately there has been an uprising called "The Natural Hair Movement." It ranges from black celebrity women showing off their natural hair to other women taking the transition from relaxed hair back to their natural state.

Having natural hair can be a blessing at times. When embracing your natural hair you get the benefits of taking care of it without using dangerous chemicals, it's a lot healthier for your body, and you gain more versatility. Ingesting potassium hydroxide can be equally damaging, resulting in burns to the mouth or throat, vomiting, severe stomach pain, diarrhea and even death. Women with natural hair bypass these dangerous and harsh chemicals and tend to care for their hair with products that contain more natural ingredients. Research conducted in February 1994 by the Food and Drug Administration and the American Cancer Society found that black women who had not used permanent hair relaxers showed decreased risk of all fatal cancers combined and urinary system cancers. While a small afro may be one of few choices of half-inch-long hair, by the time it reaches three inches or more, style choices increase, including twists and coils. When a woman has natural hair, there is no need to chemically alter it to wear any hairstyle.

Whatever hairstyles you chose as a black woman embrace it because it's your hair to take care of, but remember curls run the world!