10 Things I've Noticed About Yukon, OK Since Quarantine Began

Can you find some commonalities between my hometown and yours?

17

After my university transitioned to online courses and made everyone living in on-campus housing move out, I returned home with my parents in Yukon, Oklahoma around the middle of March. Granted, I loved people-watching before all this but now, it's become my predominant passtime for amusement. I've noticed countless things since quarantine started but what's listed below are my favorites, or the ones that I believe need to be addressed.

Some, or all, might be common nationwide but regardless, here's what I've noticed about Yukon since quarantine began!

People aren't wearing masks - correctly or at all.

First, let's address the fact that creating masks out of bandanas and hair-ties are stupid and counterproductive. The CDC says otherwise in regards to cloth masks, but here me out. Considering that the virus can manage to survive on surfaces for hours, even days, the fabric of the bandanas act as a sponge. It's quite similar to the smell of smoke getting stuck in your clothes; it'll just stay there until it's washed out. If you don't wash and sanitize that bandana everyday after you're done wearing it, you're only making it worse for yourself because the virus can just chill in there until the best opportune moment to mess you up.

Secondly, wearing surgical masks or the specialty N-95 respirators, if you have access to them, won't do any good if you're not wearing them as they're directed.

And finally, those of you not wearing masks at all: you all are ballsy, I'll give you that. Whether it be because you can't afford or find masks, or you took the first point into consideration, just be sure to exercise literally everything else in order to keep yourself and others safe.

Everyone's friendlier than usual.

Maybe this is because everyone is stuck in their houses because they're drowning in paranoia over a virus that has a 97% recovery rate but I've noticed people in this town being friendlier than usual, and it's almost to the point where it's kind of eerie. Maybe everyone came to this silent social agreement that 'when we go outside, we're going to be kind to other people because this is the only face-to-face human interaction we'll get for a week or two'.

I don't know but for the Yukon/Mustang area, or any suburb in the Oklahoma City limits, this behavior is quite odd to say the least.

There's lots of new construction.

Granted, this isn't a big surprise for Oklahoma because they're always changing something. However, I guess since COVID-19 caused a statewide shutdown for us, and nationwide altogether, we expected construction to either slow down or come to a screeching halt. But no, there are new businesses popping up everywhere; fast food chains, gas stations, car washes, neighborhood developments, you name it.

You know what they haven't finished though? i-40 and i-35 - shocker, right?

Families and children are being active outside.

When I came home from college during the weekends or holiday breaks, even during high school, I never saw anyone come out of their houses unless it was for work or school. Before, everyone was a homebody and found their entertainment with whatever device was nearby; hell, even my family was guilty of that. Now that most of us are becoming hardcore homebodies because of COVID-19, some are getting a breath of fresh air (in their own yards) and enjoying the littlest things we collectively took for granted.

Now, if I'm driving to work, going over to a family member's house, or running errands for some necessities, I see people everywhere - most of which I didn't even know lived in my neighborhood. Kids are outside playing catch and basketball, others are riding their bikes and having races down the street, and some even got their parents involved in their outdoor shenanigans. I mean, even my mom and I transplanted a tree a few days ago. It's nice to finally see kids playing outside for once, but to have entire families outside playing and having fun? The neighborhood feels alive for the first time.

Sidewalk chalk is making a comeback.

In addition to the outdoorsy activities, the most underrated and nostalgic part of our childhood is making a comeback: sidewalk chalk. Maybe it was never out-of-style, but I haven't seen kids playing with chalk or sidewalks covered in drawings and elaborate hopscotch games since my friends and I did it as children. And yes, when I go walking outside, I can't help but entertain myself and participate.

Some of the parents are even allowing their kids to color the bricks of their mailboxes so everywhere you look, there's splashes of color all over the neighborhood.

People are actually paying attention to their gardens.

For the first time in a while, whether it be when I started college or back in my high school days, people in my neighborhood didn't care about the curb appeal of their houses. I don't know if it was because they didn't have time, or simply didn't care enough about it, but things have certainly changed.

Of course, you had those people that fought for "Yard of the Month" as if that actually matters, but now all the underdogs that had their yards looking like the monstrosity-of-a-memorial for Travis from Tiger King are actually paying attention to their lawns and gardens. I guess they got bored enough to make some changes and decided to be productive rather than sitting in front of the TV all day - or maybe those are the people that want to get away from their kids because they're going insane. Who knows? It's still aesthetically pleasing and quite refreshing!

'Love thy neighbor' has been revived.

Again, maybe it's because the vast majority of people have been cooped up in their houses but now that everyone is playing outside with their kids, neighbors that otherwise didn't know each other beforehand are now communicating and becoming super close. Of course, the 6-foot social distancing is still well intact but it's nice to see relationships being built, regardless of the situation and the boredom that brought them to that point.

Parents are realizing that, yes, your child would definitely do something like *that*.

Did your parents ever get a call from the principal, claiming that you did something so unimaginable? To which your mom or dad would say something to the effect of "oh, little Johnny would never do something like that", as if you were an angel sent from Heaven that was so pure and innocent?

Well, parents of the current, youngest, generations that were beyond naive of how disrespectful and unruly their children are have finally been exposed to the truth. Now that parents have to be around their children all hours of the day on, what would be, any given school day, they're getting a real taste of what they're children are like within the school walls.

I have to say, it's a rude awakening that is beyond amusing for me. Having witnessed some of these kids' behaviors in school because of my college major, I know full well of the things that I highly doubt parents are aware of and now, I'd pay anything to see how the parents of these so called "angels" are coping with the truth. The Facebook and Twitter posts are enough but I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

People that are "essential workers" behave as if they want to get fired.

I cannot stress this enough. Sure, these people (specifically fast food workers) are dealing with busy days right after another at a pretty constant pace, and maybe they get a little peeved every now and then. However, that doesn't excuse rude comments, snarky tones and attitudes, and dirty looks when a customer asks you a simple and reasonable question. Some of them are becoming really daring doing this stuff in front of supervisors and managers too, so it's amusing to watch how far they think they can go without some type of punishment or consequence.

I'll just leave this point here because otherwise, this point could turn into an article of its own: be appreciative that you're even working during the pandemic shutdown. Yes, everyday you're at work puts you at risk for getting infected, but I can't even tell you how many people would kill to get out of the house and go to work, let alone receive a paycheck. Consider yourselves lucky that you're still employed, working, and getting some type of income; a lot of households aren't. Stop having terrible attitudes toward people that are contributing to your paycheck by bringing in some revenue to your place of business.

One of the fast food workers in Yukon, OK already lost their job because they made the mistake of getting an attitude with me, considering the boss is a family friend of mine. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and if that categorizes me as a 'Karen' for wanting good service to go along with my food, then so be it.

Idiocy has skyrocketed.

Apparently when people hear "social distancing", they think that translates to, "let's invite all of our friends over and increase the risk of getting each other sick." You people are beyond stupid.

I don't think that people acknowledge what they may be inviting into their homes. Your friends might be infected but you're willing to risk your safety, or vice versa. What amazes me is that the majority of people that are guilty of this are what we consider "frontline workers", based on what I've noticed on my socials. So tell me "frontliners": how terrible would you feel if you got your patients sick, all because of one slip-up at work, because you were idiotic enough to ignore everything that's supposed to flatten the curve?

Yes, this is a virus that has a 97% recovery rate but I'm sure you've witnessed the good, the bad, and the ugly of COVID-19. Yet, you're still risking it. You're risking yourself, your friends, and family members. Stop being selfish because you're bored or lonely.

Stop inviting your friends over. Stop going to your friends' homes. Stop being idiots.