Q&A With Tim Johnson Owner/Founder of Cora + Spink | Men's Bags

Men love handbags too.

39
Cora + Spink

Lately, as a blogger I've been reaching out to other bloggers and brands trying to build business relationships. It's all about networking, getting your name out there. And by doing that, you come across a lot of interesting people who are doing the same — spreading the word of their brand or blog.

Luckily for me Tim Johnson was kind enough to get back to me on regards of doing a Q&A with me.Johnsonis the founder/owner of Cora + Spink, an eco-friendly brand of well made simple, strong bags made out of cotton, canvas and a variety of leathers.

If you know me, then you know I'm all about having a go-to bag for any day and with any look. Cora + Spink bags give that simple look, but yet eye-catching at the same time.

1.) When and how did Cora + Spink start?

A: Cora + Spink has held many guises over the years, first being born a decade ago. Back then the idea was to make super high quality women's accessories etc. But the recession happened before we really got going. Cora + Spink you see today holds the same core values of high quality, but we have a decade of experience and contacts! Cora + Spink men's was born November 2014, launched September 2015.

2.) Where are you located?

A: Our head office is in the small market town of Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England - the 'works,' our manufacturing facilities are based in Kolkata, India.

3.) What's the designing process like? Is there a specific system you go through in order to making the ideal bag?

A: As a sketcher and doodler I'm forever thinking about shapes and forms that work with the idea of less is more. I don't really work in a note pad, instead I have reams of A4 paper that I can grab from and get an idea onto paper quickly — sometimes, a fleeting idea will come and go as fast, and unless I can capture it on paper that instant then it will be lost. I try my hardest not to overthink a design, instead work with it until it feels 'right'. I'm super conscious of how the bag will be made at all times — my background in engineering and product development let's me respect the construction — and I try to show this with the design. The real magic happens after a sketch has laid on my desk for a day or so, and I hand it over to my pattern cutter and sample team. We usually hand over three designs at a time, each sample takes around eight hours to get right — once complete on to the next.

But way before, way way before we get to design stages, we start with creating the canvas - our new range, much like last year is driven by the unique canvas's we weave. The raw materials dictate much of what we do, so making canvas is really important. This is a simple but long process of taking the expertise of the mill, choosing the weave structures and patterns, then communicating with the finish and dye house how exactly you want the fabric to look. This year we are over dyeing with strong bold colours, last year we held back on the colour for a slightly brushed pastelled look.

4.) In five words how would you describe your bags?

A: Simple, strong, rugged, unique and affordable.

5.) Q: Are you bags specifically for men? Or would you say you bags are pretty versatile between male & female?

A:Our bags are for carrying things, they don't mind the sex of the person doing so. On our website we use the term men's bags as that's what google wants - whilst we're building a loyal customer base this is one compromise we have to make. Our customers are predominantly men, buying for themselves followed by women buying for themselves, or as gifts.

6.) What kind of tools do you use while making the bags? Also, what's your favorite bag to make and why?

A:The construction of our bags is very hands on. Sharp knives, scissors, a host of different stitchers and sewing machines, then you have leather specific machinery etc. What still amazes me is the quality of the machinery in the leather industry - lots of it dates back to the early 1900's and works wonderfully. I've just invested £8,000 (8,926 USD!) in new machinery for the new range, 2 x 101 lockstitch machines, a post stitch machine, and a heavy duty binding machine... all will make the products better and easier to stitch.

7.) How'd you get into designing? What made you want to design bags?

A:I have always enjoyed art and creativity, but I love to problem solve and being practical and hands on wasn't possible working in finance. So after living and working in London for four years I decided to try my hand at going back to university — where I studied product development fashion design. Bags and leather were a gradual progression — I have felt for a long time people are being ripped off with bags, so one of our core values is to produce bags for everyone. They look good yes, but they are practical and they last, a long time.

8.) How did you get your business to where it is now? Are you excited for more opportunities as your brand continues to expand?

A: Hard work, not letting mishaps and mistakes do anything but fire us on for the next day. Having a strong belief in simple values, and really putting a huge amount of effort into simplicity. By making a product that not one single person has said they hate you realise you can only go one way. My personal belief is that if you genuinely want to succeed, and you're open to views, criticism and change then you can get to where ever it is you want to go. Three main points:

1. Product

2. Price

3. Promotion.

It's been a roller coaster of a ride, seven months we've been trading and not a day goes by without a new opportunity poking its way in. In just a few days we're off to America, Los Angeles to shoot the second range - pretty exciting in anyones books!

9.) Are there any plans/ideas on new bags with new looks and features?

A: We're just a few days away from the launch of the second range, we've retained two styles untouched — but the rest of the range is all new. We've been working hard at the mill to create a 24 oz super strong cotton canvas - that is so unique, so different we've had to learn how to actually use it. Style wise, we have kept things simple and clean, bolder colours and we're introducing suede as a trim leather.
Plus, all custom hardware - we've worked with the casting mill to make Cora + Spink totally custom hardware and fittings.

10.) What was the inspiration behind your logo?

A: The Duck with no name - I was researching ancient farming equipment and machinery - specifically used and innovated by people in the fields with little to no access to equipment. I came across lots of brightly coloured rice sacks - some of which that featured a flying duck. So voila, that became the inspiration - the Americans call heavy canvas Duck canvas, so he stuck. He's had a refinement recently, he was too gangly so I fattened him up.

11.) What's your favorite part about the designing process?

A: Working in the mills with the specialists that don't speak a word of English, and that think you're crazy... actually working closely with any craftsmen that have been working with their hands for years, that know their trade inside out is always rewarding. My scribbles on a piece of paper are just a start, they really bring things to life.

12.) What material do you use to make the bags?

A: One of the first things I did when I decided we'd be making bags was to look at how and what canvas was available. Then to see how I could make it better. So our primary material is always cotton canvas, our new 24 oz. canvas is so unlike anything used in bags it gives the new range a complete feel of their own. On top of the canvas we use a variety of leathers, that we also custom make at the tannery in Kolkata - from the feel, thickness to colour and finish I aim to make something 'normal' but just a touch special.

13.) Your bags come in four different colors, is it possible there will be new colors in the near future?

A: The new range is launched in two colours ready for immediate purchase on the website. We will be introducing new colours on a regular basis.

14.) What's you most popular selling bag?

A: Last year Harry Sack was the top seller, a really simple, but different backpack that has travelled the world, I think he has been to every continent with the exception of the poles! That amazes me!

15.) Are your bags durable/long lasting?

A: We design our bags to last 12 weeks before self destructing. Our bags, by their very nature are designed to neither fall apart, or become dated. They are made not to any specific trend, they are just built to last - and get repaired, and carry on. The ultimate in eco friendly, without being too in your face about our eco credentials, we believe if made right something like a bag can last forever!

16.) What's your favorite bag out of you collection?

A: Currently collection the simple classic Bishop backpack is amazing, it's just the right size for everyday and more, whilst from the new collection, well - watch out for Robin backpack

17.) In three years where would you like to see yourself as a brand/business?

A: Our focus and attention this year is to really build a foundation of products that will organically grow as our customer base does, we're committed to UK retail and wholesale, and within the next 12 months have plans to be a significant market leader in men's bags within the UK. Within the next three years Cora + Spink will be a byword for quality luggage and bags, every household will have something from Cora + Spink.