It's Time To Pursue Silence In A World Full Of Noise

It is in those quiet moments that God speaks to us.

289
Unsplash

We live in a world of noise.

A world full of instagram feeds, snapchat stories and tweets. As a society, we have allowed social media interactions to give us a sense of validity. Instead of living in the moment, we experience the most important times of our lives through Instagram story screens and Snapchats. We broadcast our day-to-day lives online in hopes for receiving adoration and recognition. What happens when we don’t get enough likes? When no one comments on that selfie? We feel insecure. We feel inadequate.

We live in a world full of greed because society tells us that money is power. Society is so fixated on having the next best thing, but what happens when we don’t have it? We feel less than others.

Noise is defined as any interference with the message a speaker is trying to convey, and social media and wealth are just two examples of noise in our world today. We get so caught up in what’s going on around us because of the fact that instant communication is possible. Social media makes it so accessible to see into everyone else’s lives 24/7. It’s easy to compare our lives, our belongings and our relationships to what other people have.

Some of this noise is self-imposed. Sometimes it’s even accidental. It’s easy to get caught up in the busyness of life, but sometimes it’s not. Sometimes we use the noise to drown out God’s voice and the chase momentary pleasures the earth has to offer.

We live in a world that is afraid of silence. We’re constantly filling awkward silences with um’s and so’s, but there is value in the quiet moments.

God never intended for us to live with all of this noise because this noise is an interference with the message. He is trying to convey to the world. Society chases self gratification and self importance. God’s message is humble; it is one of selfless and unconditional love, lasting hope and peace.

It’s time to pursue silence in a world full of noise because it is in those quiet moments that God speaks to us.

It’s time to realize that this is not how God designed us to be living, I mean really realize. It’s time to take action and stop letting the distractions of life mislead us in understanding our identity and who we are in Christ. It’s time to start listening for God’s voice and finding peace in the quiet moments.

You are never too much and you are always enough. You are chosen, you are so loved. Live above the noise and walk in God’s purpose for you. His purpose is always good, because HE is always good!

“a time to tear and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak; a time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.” Ecclesiastes 3:7-8