Puppies Aren't Playthings

Puppies Aren't Playthings

People getting puppies during quarantine don't always think about the long run effects on the puppy and on themselves.

5
Puppies Aren't Playthings

Having been in corona-mandated quarantine for a little over 3 months now, I've noticed a certain trend that I'm not too fond of. I have seen countless families and people purchase puppies during quarantine as their new family pet. Many of these families have no prior pet experience and decided to get a puppy from what I can only assume to be boredom. This trend of purchasing pups and pets out of boredom can be extremely harmful in the long run. First and foremost, I don't believe in purchasing puppies simply for being puppies; I believe in adopting dogs who need help, regardless of their age. There is a reason for the common elderly ages of dogs in shelters; people don't want a dog that they cannot raise from the start, even though it could mean providing it with a good home.

Many people buy expensive puppies from breeders because they want to raise the dog from a young age so it can become accustomed to the family easily; although this is a good intention, many underestimate the time and commitment it takes to raise a puppy. Once quarantine lifts, many people who are at home right now will have to leave the house to work, leaving untrained puppies at home. Families see puppies as shiny new playthings to appease their children and look cute, which is harmful in the long run because once the puppies grow and need additional effort, people do not want to put this effort in. They might end up giving up the puppy because they realize they cannot care for it, which would just be putting another dog in need.

Getting a puppy out of boredom is not the right thing to do because it is not fair for the puppy to grow up in a home where it could possibly be neglected post quarantine. Furthermore, adults should not be getting puppies for their small children to play with like toys; there needs to be some sense of responsibility before you accept a living breathing creature into your home.

If you are considering getting a puppy, think about adopting instead because there are so many dogs that still need a home.