Pullman Is More Than Just Wheat Fields

Pullman Is More Than Just Wheat Fields

"Once a Coug, Always a Coug."

405
Pullman Is More Than Just Wheat Fields
Wikimedia

Pullman is more than just wheat fields.

Pullman is full of green terrain. Pullman is home to the most breath-taking sunsets. Pullman is full of pretty yellow and orange leaves. Pullman is beautiful snowcapped mountains and rolling hills.

Pullman isn't Pullman without the Cougs.

No, I don't mean the football team. Pullman was not made by the college campus or the notable clock tower. Pullman was made by the amazing people it has seen and still holds. Policemen pull you over here just to ask how your day is going. To any passer-by with Cougar gear on, no one will ever hesitate to say "Go Cougs!" School pride is something that resonates with every student, teacher and faculty member on campus, and it is an important aspect of why Pullman is the way it is.

Pullman is not just a small town.

For people unfamiliar, there won't be much for you to do. There isn't a shopping mall, there aren't any Targets. For those who are familiar, the only time there isn't anything to do is when everyone goes home for the weekend. Living in Pullman, just about anything you do is exciting. Need something to post on Instagram?You can go to the U-Pick flower farm, or the pumpkin patch once it turns autumn. Go on a hike to the water tower or even Kamiak Butte. Go visit the local coffee shops or the new juice shop.

Pullman is literally in the middle of nowhere.

And, no, this isn't a bad thing. Being a huge homebody, this has taught me to gain independence. Being surrounded by a whole lot of nothing has forced me to get involved. I have found my new family and Pullman is my home. A city surrounded by endless wheat fields fosters a sense of togetherness and family. To us Cougs, Pullman isn’t the middle of nowhere, it is the center of it all.

Pullman is home and where my family is.

I have yet to find somewhere filled with more welcoming people. People look out for you, simply because you are a Coug. Our pride runs deep and our love for Pullman is unmatched. Maybe this is because we are all young adults, but nonetheless, we are vibrant. Pullman is home to the friendliest of the friendliest people, some are even a little too friendly. For goodness sake, you could meet your best friend in the middle of Walmart. The best part about it? You are never alone in the face of any problem.

Why'd you choose WSU?

It is a common question amongst everyone, and we all have very similar answers. While a lot of us are generational Cougs, the most common answer you'll get is "I just got this feeling..." WSU is commonly known as the heartbeat of Pullman—if you don't understand stay here during Thanksgiving break or winter break and you'll see.

Despite popular belief, students here didn't come here because they didn't get in anywhere else (my roommate was valedictorian—tell me she couldn't have gone to a more "prestigious" school) or because we were looking to party because trust me, you can do that at any college as long as you seek it out. We are here because we realized there’s nothing quite like Pullman.

Words will never do Pullman justice but the closest I've ever seen someone get is from our former football coach, Jim Walden. "I can't define it, I can't tell someone who isn't a Cougar what it's like. There's something that happens at Washington State; you quietly and subtly become infected. Washington State is a passion, being a Cougar is a passion."

As always, GO COUGS!