The ABCs Of Psychology Majors At Miami University

Somewhere between PSY112 and graduation we learned something, right?

53

As a junior in the department, I feel like I might finally have an understanding of what it is like to be a psychology major at Miami University. So here it is, the ABCs of psych majors.

A. Abnormal Psychology

One of my favorite classes, and really most psych majors' favorite as well.

B. Biopsychology

We all wanted to die, admit it. But most of us got pretty OK grades. At least it's over.

C. Center for Psychological Inquiry

You probably got extra credit to go once and ask a question. Have you ever gone again? Probably not.

D. Developmental Psychology

You have to take it, that's about it.

E. Educational Psychology

Not super the psychology department, but kinda.

F. Foundational Experiences

Otherwise known as PSY112. We all took it, most of us were bored, but participating in research was pretty cool, honestly.

G. Grad students

Love some, hate some, but for the ones we love, we love them a lot!

H. Harry Potter

The capstone we all hear about, but only a few get to be in!

I. Intro to Psychological Stats

HAHAHA 293/94 you make me sad. May the odds be ever in your favor for this class.

J. Journals

Oh APA citations, how we love you. Also we kind of hate you sometimes, sorry.

K. Killer classes

Because what psychology major doesn't love psychology!

L. Lecture

Even if your class is "discussion based," it's probably actually just a smaller lecture.

M. Miami University

Our favorite place of higher learning!

N. Neuroscience

We all find it interesting, but many are too scared to take the classes, including myself (and I used to be pre-med).

O. Open House

The place where you sign up for three lab interviews and get five bonus points in every freshman or sophomore level class!

P. Psychology

Our major, our building, our love.

Q. Quasi-Experimental

Because real experiments on human conditions are hard, especially in clinical psych.

R. Research

We all dream of being in research labs, but only the luckiest acheive that!

S. Social Psychology

And, no, this is not the same as sociology.

T. T-test

We all learned how to calculate it by hand, and many failed miserably.

U. (Un)conditioned response/ stimulus

We love Pavlov.

V. Very long words

Have you ever looked at your notes and realized that all the words in psychology are SO LONG???

W. WISC/WAIS

Intelligence tests...but do they really capture what we need to capture?

X. Xanax

Because we might need it if we're applying to grad school.

Y. You!

Because that's who we're trying to learn about: everyone, including you!

Z. Z tests

Arguably one of the easier tests to calculate, but they still hurt my brain.

There were many other words I could have included in this alphabet! What would you have added?