A PSA For All Women

A PSA For All Women

If you're a girl, you need to read this.

44
A PSA For All Women
Quote Ambition

My oh my. What a year it has been. I don't want to get into all the hefty details, but there is a message that I want to share to all the girls out there: You don't need a man to be complete. And here's why.

My gift for the new year in that particular year was a boyfriend. I was blind and didn't realize he was hitting on me for three months prior to asking me out. I of course said yes when he asked me and I entered what I thought at the time was the best relationship of my life.

I honestly thought he was the one. He respected me, helped me through hard times, and added many cute Instagram posts to my page. But there was so much more than what met the eye that I was blind to.

He was very abusive. Not physically, but mentally and emotionally. I don't know if he even realized it, but he molded me into his paper doll that he could do whatever he wanted with. If I altered just a little bit, he would get frustrated with me. If I said no, he go irritated. But the unfortunate part to all of this is that the people pleaser in me allowed him to change me because all I wanted in the world was for him to be happy.

I allowed him to let me believe that it's okay if I spend time with him instead of doing homework. That a date with him was more important than my test the next day. That cuddling with him on the couch was more important than going to class. I allowed him to loom over me in the form of an anxiety cloud to make sure that he came first and he was okay with the girl he was dating.

Events happened that I forgave him for that I shouldn't have. He took advantage of and lied to me multiple times. Despite this, I maintained my relationship with him because I let him be the fuel to my happiness. I trusted him so much that I didn't want to let go of him because he knew so much.

One day, it's like I woke up from the awful reality called my relationship. About a year ago, this boyfriend of mine took severe advantage of me for what I made the last time. The best was I tried to forgive him for the immense amount of damage that he did, but I realized about a month after that I couldn't and let him go.

So listen up girls. If you are in a relationship with a boy (not a man) that is verbally, mentally, emotionally, and/or sexually abusive, get out now. I promise when he says he's sorry he doesn't mean it. I promise that the first time won't be the last. I promise that you are much stronger alone than you are with him, and it took me a year to realize that. You don't need that crutch to depend on. You don't need the constant thoughts in your head that what he did to you is your fault. You don't need that boy dictating your life.

Instead, find you a man. A real one. One that accepts you in fancy dresses and in pajamas. One that doesn't hold you back from what you really want but instead supports your dreams and follows you wherever you need to go. One that you can confide in and know that he will be the only one who knows. If you have any doubts, then trust me when I tell you, leave.

You're absolutely okay by yourself as well. You will not believe it when you conquer something on your own. The emotions will be unfamiliar, but they will make you feel so powerful, independent, and warm. Doing that one thing on your own, whether big or small, will give you the reins to conquer your world.

It's been about a year since cotton eyed bozo took advantage of me for the last time. Thank you for being a lesson I should've never had to learn, but also a lesson I definitely needed to learn. I'm stronger now than I have ever been.