I'm Proud To Be A Millennial

I'm Proud To Be A Millennial

Here's why you should be too.

69
I'm Proud To Be A Millennial
Jeff Djevdet

I'll shout it from the mountain tops: I am proud to be a millennial. I won't try to hide that just because we have a bad reputation. Reputations can so often be skewed- when people think "millennial," they think of a bunch of lazy, technology-addicted narcissists. But our demographic is not what some people think it is, and the word "millennial" shouldn't have a negative connotation anymore.

We are one of the most hardworking groups in the world. According to a recent study, the average salary of a millennial is only $39,700; however, the average loan debts for a millennial is $45,000. We turn to other options, like creating our own businesses or living at home, because we simply can't afford anything else. We work and live in not-so-ideal places in order to survive in the poor economy we are given when we are old enough to live and work. We try to survive with debt and, usually, a low paying job, if we can find a job at all. Getting through those debts successfully can alone make millennials proud, but I'm even more proud of the fact that we've learned new ways to live and work with the limitations we have.

Contrary to popular belief, we're not lazy at all. In fact, we're expected to lead 75 percent of the workforce by 2025. Some might say "Well, with that many millennials in the workforce, there's gotta be some that perform poorly." Actually, quite the opposite- we're not bad employees. 41 percent of millennials directly follow orders from our bosses. However, we weren't raised just to comply, but to try to make our environments better. With the future of the job market in our hands, we're advocating for better job environments- better bosses, more flexible hours, etc.- because they'll 1. keep workers at their jobs for a longer length of time and 2. increase worker productivity by making them happier with their job. (Side note: we're also the most educated group in history, according to the Pew Research Center.)

According to surveys, millennials generally have extremely strong values and morals: 81 percent of millennials who were interviewed said that they had donated either money, goods, or services in the past year, and 68% have participated in volunteer work. The majority of millennials- 76 percent of women and 73 percent of men- also said they generally wouldn't consider compromising their family and personal values. These values are reflected in our work attitude: 60 percent of millennials, when asked, replied that they chose their employer because of their sense of purpose. So, no, we don't just sit on our phones all day, take and post an excessive amount of selfies, and only care about ourselves. We are some of the most caring, kind, friendly people you will meet, and personally, that's something to be proud of.

Piggybacking off of that, it's also good to note that we're extremely concerned about bettering the world around us. 61 percent of millennials said they felt personally responsible for working towards improving the country and the world. We're also extremely diverse- in an article, NBC estimated that our generation is about 43 percent non-white, the highest of any generation, and because of this, we have a broader perspective of the world as a whole. We believe in cognitive diversity: it's better for problem solving and a more inclusive environment. Millennials are also the most accepting group in history so far, with a steady rate of tolerance growth when talking about gay marriage, divorce, abortion, and other social issues.

We also don't complain as much as you think we do- we're the most optimistic generation on record according to Business Insider. When people say that we whine and can't deal with issues, they're getting the wrong idea. We fight because we want the world to change for our future and for our kids' future one day. Keep in mind we're also this positive while dealing with those who claim we're useless.

Despite all the statistics and information I have listed, millennials are still labeled complainers and mooches. I guess if someone is that set in their ways, you can never really change their mind unless you work hard to prove them wrong. But we're millennials, and we can do that. I'm proud to be part of a group that truly showcases the diversity, acceptance, and work ethic of a new generation that can lead the world to a better future.