Greek And Proud

Greek And Proud

What being a sorority girl has taught me

16
Greek And Proud
Arielle Mohr

Every time I tell someone I am in a sorority, I face all the negative connotations that come with it—but they’re wrong. My sorority doesn’t fit the stereotype. We set our own standards. Greek life isn’t what is portrayed in the movies. I know my life would not be complete without my sorority. It has shaped me into the woman that I am today.

I grew out of my fear of talking to people. Before, I was shy. I didn’t want to talk to or meet new people. I feared small talk and didn’t trust myself to maintain an engaging conversation with a stranger—but now I know better. Through informal and formal recruitment I met a countless number of diverse women and learned what it means to just talk to someone as if you’ve been friends with them for years. My confidence blossomed and now I don’t fear that family reunion with members that I haven’t spoken to in forever or going to a party where I don’t really know anyone.

I learned what it was like to be truly spoiled! Being a Little I felt what it was like to be cared for and to be smothered which I will apply when I find a Little of my own. To be spoiled is to love and look out for someone. I come from an Asian family background so outward affection wasn’t how we showed love, but with my sorority, it was fun to discover another definition of love. I can’t wait to show someone in my life extra love by giving them their favorite food, or a sweet note, or a personal craft, or with a coffee date to just hang out and catch up.

In addition, I discovered how to be a proactive princess and pursue every goal of mine. I learned how to keep up with every email, with every sister, and every committee involvement. I worked to always been looking ahead in order to keep my life in check. My organization skills were good before, but now my organization skills, paired with my multitasking skills are nearly flawless. When pursuing a leadership position, I know now not to put things off, but to actively reach out to people and learn all that you can in order to best serve the position.

Above all, I have learned the power of giving your time. Community service doesn’t have to be a burden the way some people perceive it to be. It is so easy to simply give up some of my time to make a difference. Find a cause and fight for it. I absolutely love my sorority’s philanthropies and will stand by them for the rest of my life.

Being in a sorority is more than just parties during college. What I have learned through my sorority will last a lifetime.