Why I'm Proud To Be The Daughter Of Immigrants

Their individual journeys started twenty-five years ago when my parents decided to come to the United States in hopes to experience a different way of life.

363

I felt an intense wave of emotions rush over me.. I was accepted to THE Ohio State University.

Flash back to eighteen years ago. My life started when I was born in a smaller town in Michigan. My parents had only seen a little brown baby, and probably thought that she could conquer the world someday. Little did they know, that eighteen years later, that little brown baby would be faced with a society that did not always appreciate immigrants and their so called "invasion" into United States soil.

--

As I write this, I feel nothing but pride when I think about the fact that I am the daughter of two immigrants. My father was born in Half, Sudan and my mother was born in London, England. Their individual journeys started twenty-five years ago when my parents decided to come to the United States in hopes to find better job opportunities and to experience a different way of life, and boy, I am so glad they did that.

My life in the United States has given me endless opportunities; I get to attend my dream school this upcoming Fall, and I have met people who I cannot imagine my life without. With this being said, I would not have had this opportunity had it not been for my parents coming here when they did.

I am sure that the choice to relocate to an entirely new country was the farthest from easy. It forced both of my parents to uproot the lives they had established themselves in and keep an open mind as they navigated an entirely new society, job, and people.

When I think about the morals and values instilled in me, I realize that they have come from a unique background. It amazes me that with the blending of German, Sudanese, and Middle Eastern cultures, I have become who I am today. Those cultures have directly and indirectly affected my life; I have begun to value this blend of diversity and appreciate it more and more as time goes on. Besides providing me with this incredible life, my parents have shaped many of the character traits that will continue to impact me throughout my life.

My mother has been the prime example of a compassionate, selfless person. I grew up witnessing her help those who are in need, which is where I received all my inspiration to do the same. Just this past year, she helped an immigrant family enroll their child with special needs into a school that could accommodate his needs and translated all the documents they needed help with. She also drove another couple to their cancer appointments and chemotherapy before the husband passed away. My Mom is a special, rare person because she would never ask for anything in return, and she never helped others because she needed to, but she knew they needed her.

My father is where I get my ambition and resilience from, as he is the prime example of someone who never gives up. After the recession in 2008, he was jobless for several years, despite his doctorate degree, however, he never gave up and stopped looking; he expanded his search and eventually got a job in Dubai. He always told me to work hard, and that things in life were not given to those who sit around and wait. In addition to teaching me about resilience, he treated me as an adult from a young age, which taught me responsibility that will always be with me as I travel through life.

--

Fast forward to where I am now: In a mere few weeks, I will be headed to THE Ohio State University where I hope to experience some of the best four years of my life. I am not only proud because I get to represent my family's countries of origin, but I am proud that I have the opportunity to use those cultures to help me understand who I am.

I will forever be grateful to the qualities and attitudes that my parents have instilled in me, and I hope that I can make them as proud as they have made me. Thank you both for this incredible life.