Protests in the Time of Corona

Protests in the Time of Corona

Virtual protests are often overlooked, but now is the time to discuss them.

18
Protests in the Time of Corona

My dear readers, I apologize for my absence! I have been burdened with final papers, foreign languages and various article ideas.

This one in particular is an idea of mine that I've had for a few years and now,in the time of the coronavirus is the perfect time to bring up this subject.

Now, regardless of what you are marching for- women, minorities, or any issue near and dear to your conscious there is something captivating about marching down the street. To hear the chanting of the masses for a cause you believe in, to march down streets where cars used to drive and realize the sense that you are being heard.

I recall many protests I went to long before the present troubles, there was always a sense of solidarity as we sung together and realized we were taking part in a democratic right. One could say, this subject captured my imagination since I was a little kid learning about my ancestors in the Boston Tea Party.

Now one thought that entered my mind when I was reading about the woman's march was "what about the women who can't afford to come?" Alas, this turned into a whole list of people who may not be able to attend protests- people who are working and can't afford a day off, students, people who live too far, people with disabilities... and I can list many many more.

With the movement of everything on the internet in recent years, even further hastened by the "time of corona" we are seeing more and more things we can do virtually. Online education is common, and a quick way to finish college credits at an affordable cost, people can attend virtual concerts and see Broadway plays online as well. There is no physical reason to be in a church when you have Zoom and can chat without worrying about spreading the virus.

What if virtual protests became a more common practice? Now I am aware there is something powerful in the symbolism of marching up the marble hilltop with millions of people. But virtual protests are something new, and perhaps can be more inclusive. This is not to say there will be more more physical protests- but perhaps with some issues we can become more open to the idea of virtual protests. From something as simple as everybody changing their profile picture to reflect a stance, to perhaps making videos or having a day to share all the knowledge of an issue they can find- these protests can reflect great room for creativity.

Furthermore, we do not have to worry about being exclusive to those who can't make it to a protest that want to. the point of a protest is to make your voice heard about an issue you believe in. With the rapid advancement of technology, I believe in the future we will see more and more virtual protests. Technology is a tool that has brought great changes to our lives, and perhaps with the advancement of virtual protests we can allow more citizens to make their voices heard on an issue regardless of where they are.

What are your thoughts my dear readers? do you have any creative ideas if you were to arrange a virtual protest?