Pros and Cons: American Horror Story (Season 6)

What's to love and hate about "My Roanoke Nightmare".

62
Screenrant.com

There have been a lot of mixed reviews regarding the new season of "American Horror Story". After the disappointments many fans faced with the last few seasons, the show made a lot of changes, yet not all changes make the best progress. Here's an opinionated look on our favorite horror show, with brief explanations as to what it is that makes "My Roanoke Nightmare" so controversial. Warning: spoiler alert!

Pros: As a huge fan of AHS, I was super excited to see each of the teaser trailers as they were released prior to the new season. The suspense those short clips offered was some of the best suspense I've felt over any TV show. It was a perfect example of what a teaser trailer should be: short, vague, and good at keeping viewers on their toes.

Another good point with season 6 is the plot layout. In the first, second, and third season, the plot had a very strong focus; season one surrounded the occurrences in the mansion, two was centered around the asylum and the people involved in it (though the incorporation of extraterrestrials was a bit far fetched), and the third season was on the witches. After that, the plots for "American Horror Story" became a bit scattered and hard to keep track of, especially the fifth season. Vampires, demonic children, murderous spirits...season five was a horror melting pot that was simply too complicated to follow.

Cons: What upset me the most about the new season was the format. When I saw the first episode, I thought I was on the wrong channel watching a new addition to "Celebrity Ghost Stories". The first episode, I realized, was littered with references to other leading figures in horror, the most noticeable being "Blair Witch" and "Paranormal Witness". Whether or not these references were intentional, it feels like television attempting click-bait. What I admired most about AHS was that it wasn't like other horror shows, yet now it seems it's gotten swept up in the average current.

The next point of concern for "American Horror Story: Roanoke" is the characters. Now don't get me wrong, I feel like the characters we have this season are great. My personal favorite is the character that Angela Bassett plays, Lee. Yet because of the way the season is shot, I feel like we don't really get to know each of the characters. In the first season, a lot of time was put into understanding each character individually, their faults, beauties, and everything in between. So far, with season 6, I feel like we are missing that connection to the characters. You can get a little bit from Lee, but not much from Shelby (Sarah Paulson) or Matt (Cuba Gooding Jr.).

Conclusion: I had a lot of hope for this season, yet "My Roanoke Nightmare" wasn't really able to hook me like the earlier stories. There's still a ways to go, though, so there's still a chance that it can pick itself up, but the first impression has definitely drained away most of my excitement. Let's just say that it's a season I can wait to watch.