Sorry, But Your Promise Ring Means Nothing

That promise ring is just a less committed engagement ring.

6939
elsabordelossegundos / Flickr

There are two types of people in the generation that we live in: the ones that won’t commit and the ones that commit way too fast. The ones that don’t commit are the ones who see the value in spending time with their friends, or maybe they’re just immature.

However, the people that move too fast I believe to be a little more immature than the ones who do commit.

Although the definition of a promise ring can vary, we all know that most people consider it to be an “I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you” type of thing.

So cute, right? Well, sometimes.

Everyone has seen that guy in high school that is so in love with his girlfriend of one month, so he buys her a promise ring and then tells her that he is going to spend the rest of their lives together. Then a month later he is with another girl saying the same thing as the first girl flushed that ring down the toilet.

Is it that cute anymore?

A promise ring is basically an engagement ring. Every girl dreams of the day that she is proposed to and hopes that it will be one of the best days of her life. Also, they dream of what the ring is going to look like. Most people cry on the day that they are proposed to because they have been through all of the relationship stages with their partner. They have probably gone through multiple ups and downs, fights, doubts, and hard times and still at the end of it all wanted to be together.

You do not know someone after six months of dating them.

Heck, you don’t really even know someone that well after a year. At that phase in the relationship, people could be putting on a front or still not being their true self. Everyone on this earth has flaws. It is all a matter of seeing those flaws and loving the person anyway because of them.

Mature relationships do not need a promise ring because they do not need something to symbolize the connection that they have.

Mature relationships have the complete faith that the relationship will go on and make it to where they eventually want to be.

They have trust; they don’t need something material to hold them together.

Do yourself a favor and wait it out. If something is meant to last, it will. I can promise you that your engagement will be so much better. An engagement is saying, "I'm going to marry you." If you aren't ready for an engagement ring, you are not ready for a promise ring.