My Project To Empower Erotica Writing

My Project To Empower Erotica Writing

My own magazine creation and why it's important to me.

88
My Project To Empower Erotica Writing

“Hi, I was interested in speaking with you about the flyer on campus for an online magazine?”

“Yes, thank you for calling! I’ve been running a magazine online since 2007 that showcases Erotic authors...”

“What? Erotic authors??!! Like porn??!!”

“Um, no, that’s something completely different than Erotica...this magazine publishes Erotic poetry and short stories - it shows off those who have a gift for writing about sexuality.”

“I don’t know, that sounds like porn. I wouldn’t even know how to help with that! I mean, what were you looking for - more writers?”

“No, as the flyer said, I am looking for people willing to help me run the magazine and Interns to do some marketing studies and telephone work to start the process of publishing the magazine in print as well as online.”

“Oh...um….I don’t know. That kind of content is...just...I don’t know! I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that kind of stuff! But good luck and everything!”

“Ok, well thanks! And thanks for calling about it anyways.”

After receiving similar phone calls from other students regarding the subject matter of my magazine, it's past due time to let everyone know why you should not judge the magazine by its cover.

Last Spring, I decided that I really wanted to actively pursue getting my online literary magazine off the ground. However, with a full-time college and work schedule, I do not have the time to achieve this goal on my own. I also have experience weaknesses that prevent me from bringing this magazine to its full potential. So I put up a bunch of these flyers around campus to inquire if other students would like to join me in this quest.

Since I've been old enough to write, I've always written erotic stories.

I don't believe there was anything deviant within me, in my life, or influence from those I knew to write such stories. However, there was a deep curiosity to understand sex and relationships and how I fit within them.

The only lessons taught at school in relation to sex was the same as the lesson for drug use: "Just say no!" But there was no guidebook on relationships and falling in love. Who knows how to do that stuff? Who holds the key to figuring out what we need and want?

As I got older and keep writing, I decided I wouldn't mind having my stories published. But what I read in my genre were books: erotic novels, romance novels, pornography- barely any erotic poetry. I didn't read of any way to express one's sexual self other than Books, Porn, and just Romance.

NO EROTICA or NO POETRY under every submission call. 50,000 to 100,000 words minimum only. I'm not a Novelist. I am a Short Story Writer. I am a Poet. Where were my outlets? The closest I came to finding my people were through erotic story anthologies. But who were these people? Where were they published before? And why a bunch of them - why not just one of them?

As I pondered these dilemmas, I wished there was a magazine - or a series of magazines ideally - that was solely for erotic poetry and erotic short stories. That way I wouldn't have to wonder where people got their starts. I could develop a fan base by publishing my poetry and stories in a venue that would be consumed by those also into erotic poetry and erotic short stories. I wouldn't have to choose between taking the sex out and publishing romance or taking the romance out and publishing porn. That's why I started Vanillerotica.

My online magazine is to showcase the literary talents of those who write erotic poetry and short stories. Why Erotica? I ask in return, why not? People have a bad habit of assuming that anything to do with erotica equates to pornography. These are two COMPLETELY different things - and BOTH of them do deserve respect. Without one, there can't be the other. And without either, a lot of people would suffer in sexual frustration. The talent to write sensually is just as valid as the talent to draw sensually or to dance sensually.

Do you really think that the editors of Cosmopolitan spend every waking moment dating every guy on earth to be able to publish the millions of dating articles they pump out? No! Therefore you have no reason to believe that to be involved in an erotica magazine you are expected to engage in every sexual activity known to man to be able to judge if others can write about it.

Marketing strategies, editing skills, entrepreneurial mindset, customer service skills, multi-tasking, Microsoft Excel knowledge, quick books knowledge, innovation, enthusiasm, surveying, client retrieval and retention, filing, and distribution are just some of the marketable skills and characteristics sought after to promote my venture.

My magazine has been running since 2007, but now I'm ready for it to grow it beyond the worldwide web. It's time to make this magazine a profitable sustainable business. Without a partner (or partners) to co-own, and interns (that will hopefully progress to employees) to survey the market and gather clientele, this dream will continue to be just that - a dream.