10 Productive Things To Do When You're Bored

How to be an adult when you're bored.

309

As college students, we're usually consistently very busy, but occasionally, we run out of work to do, and when we do we don't know what to do with ourselves. Here's a list of some productive things to do when you're bored and have nothing better to do. Maybe, play some tunes while you work, and some of the more boring practical things will fly by. At the end of the day, you'll feel like you actually accomplished something.

1. Make or adjust your schedule:

If you're an unorganized person with a chaotic life, then a schedule is a productive thing to work on when you're bored. Schedules help us put our lives back together. Boredom basically implies that we're not doing anything, so it's the ideal time to make a schedule. If you're someone who already has a schedule, then use this time to adjust the things that need changed on it. Over time even schedules become chaotic, so pick up a pen and start adjusting.

2. Make or adjust your budget:

If you're a proper adult who wants to adult like an adult, then use your boredom to construct a budget. Most people in college have a job, loans, or some form of money they're charged with handling. Creating a budget can help to assure that money will be available when it is needed. If you have a budget already, adjust it according to your current financial standings. Whether you spend your money on bills, groceries, or fun, time budgeting the money allows you to have a safe plan for maneuvering through the economic world.

3. Count your change:

This one may seem silly, but give it a try. I've made twenty or thirty dollars a pop by saving, counting, and exchanging my change. Counting change is a productive and tedious task to do when you're bored. Once you know you have an adequate amount of money, you can take it in to the store to be exchanged for dollar bills. Thus, you're making money and curing boredom at the same time.

4. Look at the course catalog:

No matter what point you're at in the semester, looking ahead to the future is never a bad idea. Looking at the course catalog can cure boredom, and it can be immensely helpful. By looking at the array of courses, we can find ones we are interested in, which could potentially lead to us finding a minor. It also helps us to be prepared for the next semester.

5. Clean out that drawer:

We all have that drawer that might actually be a black hole. The drawer that we continue to shove papers and all the like in, but it never seems to get overstuffed. We're also not entirely sure what all is inside that drawer. If you're feeling bored, then maybe it's time to release the beast. Who knows what you'll find?

6. Do the laundry:

Laundry is always a productive way to adult like an adult. Boredom can seem incurable, so we might as well be productive while we're bored. Maybe, grab a bite to eat while the laundry is cycling through. This way it's both productive and fun.

7. Answer those ten emails:

We all do it. Our emails fill up faster than a cheetah runs. Too bad our energy levels are more on par with the energy of a snail. It may not be very fun, but it's productive. It's also polite, considering people are actually waiting for you to respond.

8. Call your family:

Utilize this time to contact your family. They most likely miss you, and you probably miss them. When you’re busy it’s hard to keep in contact with everyone, so use this time to Skype, call, or text your loving family members. This one is probably the most fun and meaningful thing to do on the list.

9. Delete emails:

After you respond to the important emails, start deleting all that junk mail. I probably get twenty junk mail messages a day. They range from Best Buy sales to presidential candidate messages. All of which are incredibly annoying. If you're bored you can utilize that time to clear up your inbox.

10. Make a travel plan/bucket list:

If you've never traveled, start looking into potential places you'd want to go. Do some research to figure out how to make one of the trips possible. If you have traveled but want to continue to travel, a bucket list might be a good idea. That way you're not focusing on one specific location but on a multitude of possible adventures instead. I personally have never traveled and often research and fantasize about travel when I'm bored. It's fun, and it's also semi-productive, even if it's not as productive as making a budget.