The Problem With Independence Day: The Resurgence Of Unoriginality

Movies are trading good characters and a good story line for action and clichés.

34
FOX Movies

The classic Will Smith ‘90s movie, Independence Day, brought joy to dads and kids alike. This is why my dad suggested that my family go see the movie’s sequel in theaters. I heard that the sequel had disappointed reviews, but I didn’t want to assume anything before I even stepped into the theater.

A quarter way through the movie, I realized that my brother and I stifled laughter nearly every time a character talked. I realized that every time an actor paused for dramatic effect before delivering a line, I already knew what the line was going to be. The movie was full of overused lines, clichés, and unforgettable characters.

Dylan, Will Smith’s son in the movies, is a prime example. Before leading a group of fighters against the resurgence of hostile aliens, he gives a speech that is supposed to connect to President Whitmore’s moving speech in the first film. But Dylan’s speech ends up being nothing more than “we’ve all lost someone, so let’s do our best to win.” Jake, Liam Hemsworth’s character, is engaged to President Whitmore’s daughter, but the couple lacks any inkling of chemistry. Their relationship in general did absolutely nothing for the movie. The Madame President, played by Sela Ward, was so stiff and had such wooden lines that my brother turned to me and said, “She actually reminds me of Hilary.” The only memorable characters are Dr. Brakish Okun, played by Brent Spiner, and the African warlord Dikembe Umbut.

Several times, it appeared that the action itself would save the movie. The theater shook with the crash landing of the massive alien spaceship and the collapse of cities. However, I was reminded of the plot when a deus ex machina appeared in the form of a white alien orb with the voice of a 12-year-old. I was reminded that Independence Day: Resurgence avoided character development and good writing, all while taking itself too seriously.

This is the problem with movies. As a writer, I know all too well that only focusing on action and plot will make for a terrible story. What is a story without relatable characters, realistic dialogue, and reasonable relationships? I want to care about a character and be surprised by a storyline. Even though clichés are prevalent in today’s society, they should be avoided at all costs and replaced with fresh imagery that will make your reader, or your viewer, feel like they’ve tasted water for the first time. However, most movies focus on nostalgia and a resurgence of old ideas. For example, the Ice Age franchise is on its fifth movie. Yes, fifth. Now think about how many recent movies have focused on the idea of aliens, or aliens attacking Earth, or humans flying out into space to encounter aliens.

Like reading a book, a movie should make its viewer unaware that she’s watching a movie. I want to watch a movie that takes an idea and twists it into a story with weight. I don’t want to watch another Resurgence.