Why Being Pro-Choice Is My Freedom

Why Being Pro-Choice Is My Freedom

Abortion isn't anyone's choice but the pregnant person's.

134
Why Being Pro-Choice Is My Freedom
Renascent

I'm pro-choice. I believe in the idea that a woman has the right to do with her body as she pleases. Me personally? I don't think I'd ever get an abortion. Key words: don't think I would because things change. Something could happen where I would need one. I believe that no man, or woman for that matter, has any right to tell me what to do with my body. No woman has to justify herself to anyone about why she's getting the abortion (besides the person she's with if she's with someone).

Before anyone tries to lecture me on how I'm supporting the murder of humans and babies, think about this: Don't. I don't want to hear the one sided narrative that your "God" gave to you. I don't want to hear about how the fetus' life matters, too. I'm not here to be judged, but judged I will be for this. However, I don't care.

In light of everything that's come out about abortions: the Planned Parenthood defunding plan (which is just wrong), the fact that doctors can now refuse to treat someone if they've had an abortion (talk about unethical), and that they want to make abortions a felony in Texas.

Criminalizing abortion will result in (possibly) thousands of women dying every year. Why? Simple. A) Making abortions illegal tells the mother that her life doesn't matter. B) Women everywhere would die from pregnancies that can kill them. C) Women will still get abortions, they just won't be done safely so it would result in not only ending the pregnancy, but the death of the mother.

Women don't get abortions willy nilly. They don't just wake up one morning during their pregnancy and go "oh I think today I'll get an abortion." Getting an abortion is not an easy decision, it's not something that people do for fun. A woman who gets an abortion goes through pain and heartbreak. The emotional, mental and physical damage that happens isn't something that can be described (I don't know personally but I've heard about it). This is something men will never understand. I'm not saying that because men are too dumb to acknowledge the fact that abortions are a hard thing to go through, but because they will never go through it themselves.

Most women don't get abortions because they had sex with their partner and got pregnant. They're getting abortions because they were raped - by a stranger, by a family member, by someone they knew - or the fetus isn't forming or growing or it could kill the mother.

The fact that some mothers have to carry a fetus full term despite the fact that they miscarried so the fetus isn't even growing anymore is disgusting. The fact that women are made out to be the bad guy for wanting to get an abortion to save their own life is baffling. A woman could be raped and they would still be shamed for getting an abortion if she got pregnant. Being forced to carry a child that was produced by a rapist would only cause the mom to grow to hate the cells growing inside of her or, in some cases, could cause the mom to kill themselves because they're reminded everyday of what happened to them.

This isn't about saying "oh, I had sex and now I'm pregnant" -there's nothing wrong with that either- it's about feeling like you no longer have control over your body or your rights because the government decided your life wasn't as important as a bundle of cells that could potentially be a child.