I Am Pro-Choice Because It's A Woman's Life, A Woman's Body, And A Woman's Choice

For those of you who are pro-life, here is your trigger warning.
69

In today's society, we, as women, have the right to make our choices just as other people have the right to make their choices. One of these choices is abortion. Trigger warning: if you are pro-life, then you will probably 100% not agree with my article.

I am just going to state this now: I am pro-choice. I feel like the woman should have the choice on whether or not she wants to keep the fetus. Now, let me explain myself. I am pro-choice because there are quite a few exceptions to being pro-life with most people. There is always the scenario of "the woman was raped and doesn't want to carry the child" and many people who say they are pro-life always end up saying that "in that case" it is okay for her to abort the fetus. I personally feel that if you can say it is okay for one scenario, then you might as well be pro-choice.

Another scenario is an ectopic pregnancy. With this pregnancy, the fertilized egg tries to develop in the fallopian tubes and in most cases, will cause complications with the mother. Most of the treatments involve surgical removal of the egg to ensure the mother's safety. With this, I have known people who claim to be pro-life say "well, if the mother is in danger, then it is okay to abort the fetus". Again, if you can say okay to one scenario, then you should consider yourself to be pro-choice.

A lot of people who are pro-life say "well, she should have the responsibility of taking care of the child since she chose to participate in unprotected sexual intercourse". This is not always the case. While many cases are due to being unprotected, it is possible to be completely safe and get pregnant. Condoms are 98% effective IF they are used CORRECTLY. However, let's be realistic here. Not a lot of guys actually know how to correctly put on a condom, check for holes, or even the expiration date! Did you know that condoms had expiration dates?

If you didn't, then you are already not using the condom correctly. According to Planned Parenthood, due to human error, condoms are realistically only 85% effective against pregnancy. The effectiveness of birth control ranges from 71% - 99% depending on which birth control is being taken. The point is, it IS possible to be safe and still get pregnant.

I am not going to get into the science or ethics of abortion because that is a debate for another day. Whether you think life starts at conception is your belief and that is fine. If you think the fetus is just a ball of cells, then that is fine too. It is perfectly okay to have your own beliefs. What is not okay, if imposing your beliefs on other people. If a woman wants to have an abortion, she does not need you breathing down her neck telling her that she is killing a life.

She does not need you to tell her the other options that she has. That is for her and her doctor to talk about because ultimately, the doctor will know more about this woman than you will ever know. You are not in any place to judge. All this is, is an argument of science vs. religion which never gets people anywhere closer an answer.

I am pro-choice because if I was in a position where I was raped or me and my baby were in danger during the pregnancy, I would want to be able to have the choice. If I was in a situation where I was not mentally/physically stable to have a baby, I would want to be able to have the choice so the child does not have to grow up in the same situation.

Now, you pro-lifers are probably saying "well, that is what adoption is for", and I agree with that. I personally, would put my baby up for adoption is I knew that I couldn't take care of him/her. However, a lot of women, cannot see themselves doing that and THAT IS OKAY. It is their choice! Every woman has a different situation, a different life, a different family.

It is the woman's life, the woman's body, and the woman's choice. What she ends up doing does not affect you and it shouldn't involve you in any way! The only people who it should affect is the father and family. Everyone else needs to stay out of it. End of story.