What Is Privilege
Race

Privilege is...

Something we all have, but don't acknowledge.

93
Privilege is...
HuffPost

Privilege is...

being able to replace the color cartridge in your printer or

being able to tag your best friend in stupid Facebook memes or

being able to reach for another roll of toilet paper when one is finished or

being able to spend your time on asos.com to see what homecoming dress you want or

being able to complain about how you went to Lucille's Steakhouse last month and you're fed up with steak or

being able to buy a new charger for your iPhone X or

being able to afford and wear contacts or

bring able to worry about what your Snapchat "streaks" are going to be for the day or

being able to have time to sleepover at Trish's house next week or

being able to get those golden ombre acrylics you wanted next month or

being able to take your girlfriend to Shake Shack after the game or

being able to download word on your MacBook Pro or

being able to get an F on a test and never think about it twice or

being able to play sports outside of school or

being able to have three full meals a day or

being able to never worry about whether your telephone is going to get cut off or not or

being able to change the settings on your AC to "heat" or "cold" depending on the season or

being able to get picked up right after school or

being able to enjoy a packed lunch every day at 12 pm or

being able to check whether Brian liked your Instagram post or not or

being able to go run for an hour at the gym or

being able to enjoy pasta and salad with both of your parents and siblings at 7 pm on the dinner table or

being able to watch whether the Celtics won last night or the Warriors or

being able to rant to Wendy about your problem with frozen yogurt without having to worry about the number of texts you send

because not everyone can do these things.

_____

Being the daughter of two immigrant parents, living through struggles, and constantly being able to not relate to stereotypical truths and American society, it was always a pain to hear my parents say "no" or "We don't have money for that" or "You don't need it." My parents came from a background of hard work and labor which proved for them to equal success. It took me a while to realize the same things my parents give me--the simplest of things like notebooks--is something others preserve page by page. Privilege is something we all have but don't acknowledge.

_____

September 21, 2018

Author's Note: This article doesn't define privilege, rather gives scenarios that all people may not be able to relate to, especially since this was written from the perspective of an Indian American. This article may not be relatable for everyone. I addressed privilege as a way of life in the first world country rather than something more.