PRIDE For My LGBTQ+ Friends

PRIDE For My LGBTQ+ Friends

No I’m not the same, but that’s not important, no freedom ‘til we’re equal, damn right I support it. (Same Love- Macklemore)

34
PRIDE For My LGBTQ+ Friends

If you didn’t know already, June is Pride Month, which is celebrated every year in honor of the Stonewall riots (1969). It is a symbol of being true to who you are and not being afraid to express yourself no matter who you love or who you are.

Pride month is extremely important to me because a lot of my friends and my best friend identify within the LGBTQ+ community. I have friends all over the spectrum, identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, transgender, and gender fluid. No matter how they identify, the love and support I have for them is endless. These people have made an enormous impact on my life, teaching me how to stand up for what I believe in and support everyone with love and respect. What is better than that is that these people are no different than anyone else.

They are human and that is why I love them. They are smart, beautiful, kind-hearted individuals and no matter who they love or how they identify themselves, they are still human. They are still my friends. They are brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, and so on. They are amazing.

Pride month is important because it is a time to celebrate the colors that radiate through the community. Strength and resilience flow through the veins of those who know the fight for this cause all too well. With devastating events having occurred toward the community, they still persevere and keep their heads held high.

Through parades, rallies, motivational talks, and support amongst one another, Pride month allows those who do not understand be educated. Those who come at the topic with negativity, to be greeted with positivity and hope. Those who wish to be heard, given a mic to share their words. Pride month is about embracing the real you and allowing it be shown. It is about being who you want to be and seeing that there is nothing wrong with that.

Ultimately, we are not defined by our sexuality or gender identity. These elements are pieces of who we are but the important part is that we are all human. Despite race, sexuality, gender identity, and social status, beyond all of these factors lies a human within us all. A human that should love and care for all humans because in the end, we are all alike, we are all equal and everyone should be treated this way.

To my friends celebrating Pride, know that I love and support you 110%! I will always be an ally and someone you can confide in. I am and will always be a supporter of LGBTQ+ rights and equal human rights in general!

Happy Pride month and let your colors show!